fuel shut off valves?

fordmugg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i want to install 2 shut off valves in my boat, one for each tank, now do i need special ones of can i just get some ball valves from like home depot

Bondo

Staff member
Re: fuel shut off valves?

Ayuh,.... Most of Us just use a 3-way tank control valve.... it's made for Gasoline...

fordmugg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.... Most of Us just use a 3-way tank control valve.... it's made for Gasoline...

doesnt the 3 way only have 1 tank 2nd tank or off? what if i want to run both tanks for a while then finish 1 tank and have a half tank back up

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... If the fuel pump, pumps from Both tanks, it'll suck air, not gas...

That's Why ya use a 3-way valve....

Run a tank to empty, or nearly so, 'n Switch 'em....
Yer motor won't run suckin' fumes from an empty tank.... ;)

fordmugg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my 20 ft hallett has dual 22 gal tanks so if one is empty and one is full, will the offset weight make a difference?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

22 gals weighs about 60kg (130lbs). If it causes some listing, just move some gear to the other side (Use the drivers side tank first)... Even with both valves open, it wouldn't suck evenly from both sides, it would empty one tank first (path of least resistance)...

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

doesnt the 3 way only have 1 tank 2nd tank or off? what if i want to run both tanks for a while then finish 1 tank and have a half tank back up

Run off tank 1 enough to burn off 10-11 gallons, then switch to the second tank for the rest of your trip. You''ll end up with half a tank backup with minimal listing for the majority of your ride.

agallant80

Commander

I am wondering now if this would be good for putting the boat up for the season. Run the motor out of gas so none is sitting in the carb on in the fuel injectors.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the recommended storage method is EITHER tanks nearly empty and fuel chemically stabilized OR tanks full and fuel chemically stabilized either way is fine but half a tank is the worst possible condition... Engine needs to be run long enough to ensure that stabilized fuel is throughout the entire fuel system