1974 Galaxy Restoration

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice
So, I'm working on prepping for some gel coat for my restoration, but I'm worried that my boats hull is paint. I know that gel coat doesn't stick to paint very good. Is there a way that I can decipher if my hull is paint or gel coat?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Gel Coat, or Paint?

Ayuh,.... Is it original,..?? What makes ya think it's paint,..??

Post a picture...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Set an acetone rag on the suspected paint. Leave it for a bit, if the surface starts to wrinkle & lift = PAINT. If it doesn't it's likely gelcoat......

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Set an acetone rag on the suspected paint. Leave it for a bit, if the surface starts to wrinkle & lift = PAINT. If it doesn't it's likely gelcoat......

Would a laquer thinner work?

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... Is it original,..?? What makes ya think it's paint,..??

Post a picture...

It's original, but I've only had it for about 6 months. I think it might be paint, cuz I'm taking some pin-striping off and the supposed paint is just chipping really easy.

jbcurt00

Staff member

How are you removing the pinstripe?

If you're not using a pinstripping removal wheel:
41JLhrZu1RL._SY300_.jpg
You can find it w/ a google search
perhaps it's the removal method that's causing chipping. Because the method could chip either gelcoat or paint, easily........

It's original, but I've only had it for about 6 months. I think it might be paint, cuz I'm taking some pin-striping off and the supposed paint is just chipping really easy.
Intriguing... 6mo you've owned it 'new' to you or it was factory/showroom new when you bought it?

As often is the case, pix would certainly help

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

boat one.jpg
This is the pin-striping I'm trying to get off. It's just tape so I was using a razor blade.

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

boat two.jpg
You can see the spot above the pin-striping that definitely needs work. It's like that in a few spots on the boat.

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice
1974 Galaxy Restoration

boat four.jpg

boat three.jpg

boat six.jpg

I bought this boat back in August with a non-working engine. It has a 5.0 Ford with a Merc out drive. I got it home and got it running with a few things. I let it sit through the winter (way too cold to work on any of it in Utah!) I tore out the carpet and seats because I was planning on redoing the interior. When I pulled out the seats and carpet I found some soft spots. The strings feel solid (so far), but I think the whole deck is shot.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Might be dock rash on either paint or gelcoat, the staining down the hull sides & onto the bottom is odd though....

Bondo

Staff member

View attachment 186382
You can see the spot above the pin-striping that definitely needs work. It's like that in a few spots on the boat.

Ayuh,... Under the tape seems to be a different color, what is it,..??

Start sandin' on the rash, it's All gotta be sanded anyways,...
If it's a Very thin color, 'n then another much thicker color, the thicker color is the gelcoat, 'n the thinner color is paint, probably from a PO...

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

The brown paint is really thing and all the white paint is thick. I'm thinking the brown is paint and the white is gel coat.