Tohatsu 9.8 Carb flooding and leak

donnyk

Recruit
I have a 2008 Tohatsu 9.8 four stroke just purchased form someone. It has sat for over a year. The carb had been rebuilt before sitting. When I pull the choke to start for the first time it floods the carb right away. I can see fuel dripping off the carb. When finally started, it will run fine, but if I shut it off and leave it sit for more than a few minutes it will flood again and is very hard to start. If I disconnect the fuel hose when I shut it off, it will start easier. Any suggestions? Even if the carb if full, should it leak?
Thanks for any help.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 9.8 Carb flooding and leak

Sounds like the needle isn't seating correctly, and you are overflowing through the vent. Remove the carb, disassemble it, clean the needle/seat, and verify the float height. I'm guessing you have an MFS9.8A3 model (year is unimportant)...

"had the carb rebuilt" could mean a lot of things. And, if the motor was mothballed with gas in the carb, the service was for naught.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Sounds like the needle isn't seating correctly, and you are overflowing through the vent. Remove the carb, disassemble it, clean the needle/seat, and verify the float height. I'm guessing you have an MFS9.8A3 model (year is unimportant)...

"had the carb rebuilt" could mean a lot of things. And, if the motor was mothballed with gas in the carb, the service was for naught.

Paul,

You know I was a double naught spy back in the sixties.:)

pvanv

Admiral

Paul,

You know I was a double naught spy back in the sixties.:)

Elvin,
Didn't you mean "double-aught" ? :)
But, with Don Adams as Maxwell Smart (agent 86) and Barbara Feldon (as agent 99), there weren't many "double-aught" agents in the '60's :)

Last edited:

xjma

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sounds like it could be a sticky float needle, was it stored with un-stabilized fuel in the carb? You may need to remove the needle and seat and soak them in gas for a while in order to get ethanol junk off of them.