Trim working backwards

chrisrooter

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so I ran boat a few times last year after purchase, then winterized it. So although the power trim works and the gauge works on dash, it reads backwards. Up/ down is reversed. Assuming the dash guage is good, could someone hooked up wiring wrong on trim motor/selonoid? I do not have. A manual yet, but plan on that in very near future as I fix all my own stuff. I would like to actually rely on my dash cluster this boating season. Thanks in advance everyone. Oh yes it's a 2.3 omc with cobra drive. 1989.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Trim working backwards

Blue (sky) is up
Green (grass) is down
Red is power

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Does your trim have a single relay box with a circuit breaker in the middle built onto the trim pump, or do you have 2 solenoids on the engine away from the trim pump?
Could the trim hoses be mixed up on the trim pump? They really need to be on the right port, one is high pressure (UP circuit) and one is low pressure (Down circuit). If they are backward, it will work fine on land, but won't go up out on the water for trimming.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

If it is just the gauge that reads backwards, it sounds like you have a trim gauge for a MerCruiser in your dash. OMC and MerCruiser trim gauges work backwards from each other.

chrisrooter

Seaman Apprentice

Does your trim have a single relay box with a circuit breaker in the middle built onto the trim pump, or do you have 2 solenoids on the engine away from the trim pump?
Could the trim hoses be mixed up on the trim pump? They really need to be on the right port, one is high pressure (UP circuit) and one is low pressure (Down circuit). If they are backward, it will work fine on land, but won't go up out on the water for trimming.

I would need to wait a week or 2 to confirm that. She is still covered up. I know everything works well on the water and land. When I use the trim button on the water the trim works properly, even the button works right down is down and up is up. But the gauge reads backwards so was wondering if its the wires that are backwards. In other words when the trim is down outdrive completely down the gauge is showing up. So either I train my mind to read it backwards or I fix it. I would like to see the guage properly reading. Thanks for replies I will dive into this as early as I can and report back to update all. It's 45 deg. Today in nj. Spring can't come fast enough!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If all works ok except the gauge is reading backwards, then you have the wrong gauge as muc noted. You need one for an OMC Cobra drive.