22 pitch on 150 merc

jaybrown

Banned
So I bought a 22 pitch chopper prop.for my dad for his 150 merc and it has a chip out of the spline where it goes on the motor. It slides right on and dose not shake will this still.be ok?

jaybrown

Banned
Re: 22 pitch on 150 merc

I don't have a pic right now it doesn't look that bad just want to know if it will throw it off balance? :grumpy:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

See: Almost no one will answer that question without a photo because stresses on any prop are high. Without seeing if the broken spline has caused a crack (almost invisible or not) we must err on the side of caution. Additionally, we need to see if it is a solid hub chopper or a thru-hub exhaust prop.

However, to answer your last question: A broken spline, being at the center of the prop will have very little effect on balance, if any.

jaybrown

Banned

Okay thanks guys a better look and it's not cracked or chiped and it the prop the exhust goes over not through.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

You could always have reputable prop shop look at it to be sure. On a side note what kind of boat does you dad have?

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Choppers are typically used lighter hulls like a Hydrostream so I'm not sure you're going to be happy with it. In fact I have never heard of anyone putting one on that setup and I follow bass boats pretty heavily, but you might as well try it you have nothing to loose. I would love to know how it does. In the end a Tempest Plus or Trophy may work better on that hull.