Cant find neutral

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
I always have trouble finding neutral. what I mean by that is that when I'm trying to start the motor, and the throttle was previously moved, I have to fiddle with the throttle, moving it back and forth until I find the neutral spot so that I can start the motor. It's not just straight up. It's like I have to move it forward then backward a few times until I hit it just right. I've been tempted to take the control off and open it up and see if there's a problem but I don't want to open a can of worms. Does anyone have any advice in this department?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Cant find neutral

I always have trouble finding neutral. what I mean by that is that when I'm trying to start the motor, and the throttle was previously moved, I have to fiddle with the throttle, moving it back and forth until I find the neutral spot so that I can start the motor. It's not just straight up. It's like I have to move it forward then backward a few times until I hit it just right. I've been tempted to take the control off and open it up and see if there's a problem but I don't want to open a can of worms. Does anyone have any advice in this department?

Ayuh,... What motor,..??

mercurymang

Yes, that appears to be the one. I don't have a pic readily available but I get post one up later this evening.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Here is a link to the controls manual and yours should be the first one in the file. If you are going to split the box, you will be able to read up/see the neutral safety switch (prevents starting in gear). You will also see the cams and how they are connected to the cables to see if you have wear.

merc controls newest manual - Download - 4shared

Click on the Download button under View Document and when the next page comes up, select Free Download. It is a large 25mb file.

Gerry

mercurymang

Thanks carholme. Yep, looks like there's lots of little parts in there to lose. Any idea if any of those parts are still available?

carholme

Rear Admiral

There are parts still available but a lot of them will have to be found by searching.

Gerry