Help - low $ solution suggestions - Mercruiser 5.0

gbarrett

Cadet
I've been working on my boat off and on for over a year and the wife is getting antsy. I had to rebuild the heads on my Mercruiser 5.0 as the exhaust elbows leaked and locked up a couple of valves. I was going to reinstall the cast iron intake but it's pretty corroded as the boat is in saltwater all of the time. Can I just get an aluminum Chevy shortblock manifold for the motor? Money is short - whose isn't? I'm just trying to get the boat up and running for summer. Also, for saltwater, are there better or less affordable options for the exhaust elbows?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Help - low $ solution suggestions - Mercruiser 5.0

Ayuh,.... Boatin' in the Brine, the last thing ya want is an aluminum intake manifold...

Go with cast Iron...

gbarrett

Cadet

Wow, thanks for the quick response! Will a stock Chevy intake work or do I need to use a magic Mercruiser?

Most factory merc intakes started life in the same foundry as a car intake. Im not sure what year your engine is, but if its an older carbed motor it should be pretty easy to find something that will work for cheap$. If you had water in your heads and valves did it get into your oil? You may need more than a valve job if it did.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Better elbows are the dry-joint, but you are talking serious $$$. You have to replace the manifolds as well....

achris

Yes, the Stainless Steel risers are better and less affordable, when new. Maybe these would be okay? Mercruiser Stainless Steel Exhaust Riser Elbow 4" w/Gaskets - 4.3, 5.0, 5.7, 7.4 on eBay!

I put a pair of those on my old V6 (1994), still going with no signs of corrosion. Merc stopped making them only a few years after they started using them. They sighted cracking as the reason for discontinuing them. I think the real reason was that they realized that once these SS elbows were on, they wouldn't be selling new ones for a VERY long time.

I would STRONGLY recommend the OP pick these up NOW....

Chris......

TilliamWe

Banned

I put a pair of those on my old V6 (1994), still going with no signs of corrosion. Merc stopped making them only a few years after they started using them. They sighted cracking as the reason for discontinuing them. I think the real reason was that they realized that once these SS elbows were on, they wouldn't be selling new ones for a VERY long time.

I would STRONGLY recommend the OP pick these up NOW....

Chris......

Yeah, I read the "cracking' excuse too, and don't buy it for a second. My 97 had them, they got HOT once due to an impeller failure, and they never cracked in 10 years and over 800 hours of use. They did corrode one of the bolts, though, and I had to replace it when I took them off to have my cylinder heads reconditioned, when the boat was 8 years old. No problems. Yeah, Merc just didn't like not selling replacements, every few years at $150 a pop!

achris

Yeah, Merc just didn't like not selling replacements, every few years at $150 a pop!

I wish!!! They're over $450 each here in Australia.