How to tell if my gearcase is OEM or aftermarket

rkdygert

Cadet
I have a Johnson J115PLSRC that I bought used a couple years back; last season the gearcase locked up on me and there's alot of metal in the oil...time for a rebuild. But, before I sink money into rebuilding this gearcase, I'm wondering if there's a way I can tell if it's an OEM case or aftermarket (are there any casting marks, etc. in an OEM case that differentiates it)? The reason I'm suspicious is because it's painted grey (the engine is white) and has a pretty crappy paint job at that...obviously not the original gearcase. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,
-Ryan

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How to tell if my gearcase is OEM or aftermarket

Look for a part number stamped on it someplace. I believe the number is (or should be) 5036614.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That engine came with the "batwing" lower unit if different it has been swapped....
batwing.jpeg

rkdygert

Cadet

Where would the part number be? On the inside or outside of the case? I looked all over the outside of the case and don't find any numbers or tags...

rkdygert

Cadet

I found what looks to be a casting number on the top of the gearcase near the shift rod assembly; 304941. I'm not sure if it's much use to identify it as OEM.

Either way, I found an new OEM case online for a decent price and decided to buy that; after pricing everything I was going to need for a rebuild, it was only another $500 to get the whole new gearcase.

Thanks for everybody's input.
-Ryan