3.5 Nissan

Trackbolt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My first non-OMC motor is a Nissan NS3.5B2 Serial#42573. Compression 125 and very clean. Spark plug condition shows excellent combustion. Was last serviced by marina shop in 2012 for general tuneup. Aquired by wife from co-worker. Coworker tired of pulling starter rope and bought an electric motor. Gave us the Nissan. (Started motor in barrel with two pulls. Runs great!)
Please can someone date the year of manufacture of this motor through the serial number or model number for me?

Thanks

Tony Mig.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 3.5 Nissan

Year of manufacture is irrelevant for servicing a Tohatsu/Nissan outboard. Precise model info is however critical. The 3.5B2 was made from about 1998 through about 2003. It has electronic ignition, F-N gear shift, and the water pump on the drive shaft. These details set it apart from the earlier 3.5 2-strokes. If you have a nostalgic curiosity, contact Nissan Marine through their website, and they may be able to determine the year of manufacture. As for value, condition will be everything. These motors are still prized for their light weight.

Trackbolt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you Paul. That is good to know. Right now that motor needs nothing. When the PO had it in the shop last year or so it got a water pump tune up and general maintenance service. I understand it only was run a couple of times after that. Paint on engine and leg is in good condition and the engine shows no signs of past overheating. The plastic two piece motor cover has its normal bumps and dings from being stored, transported and mounted on the boat. This motor will be used for trot line crabbing and trolling on the river. Happy to have it!

Tony M.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The 3.5B2 model is still under current production, sold in countries that don't have 2 strokes restrictions, hell of a small portable, runs 1/2 day long with 1 gallon.

Happy Boating

JStrom

Seaman Apprentice

I got a NS3.5A yesterday evening. It's been sitting for years, so taking it to a local shop for a carb rebuild and for them to go over it before I take it out and get stranded. I'm hoping it's big enough to push my jon boat up/down the Savannah River and maybe even Lake Strom Thurmond. Wondering though, if the shaft isn't too long for a jon boat.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Not an issue at all if being a long leg, you will only achieve displacement speeds of about 4-6 knots depending on the boat's weight. One thing to look after those small portables is maintaining fuel **** internal filter screen impecabble clean, sometimes poluted fuel can leave residues there causing engine to perform badly due to filter being obstructed restricting 100% fuell flow.

When removing fuel **** from tank would be advisable to wrap some teflon wrappings on round body of exit tube, insert **** and tighten clamp & screw, will hold much better tank pressure builds up and fuel spills specially during summer months.

Happy Boating