Inline 6 cracked water jacket?!

DirtyOldBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a '73 1500 that I'm working on. This motor sat outside in the weather uncovered for a few years so I'm replacing just about everything. The powerhead was rebuilt just before it sat and only has a couple hours on it. Today I pulled the cowl support off and found this on the water jacket cover on the front of the motor:
waterbolt1.jpg

The area around the top bolt is broken off. I have no idea how this could have happened? There was just a piece of aluminum sitting on top. Maybe water got in there and froze?

Also, under another bolt in the middle the aluminum is cracked:
waterbolt2.jpg

It almost looks like the bolts were overtightened, but I don't remember ever seeing that when I installed the powerhead several years ago. Is this something I'm going to need to fix? I can't tell if it's going to leak or not. I do have another one of the covers I can use but I don't want to mess with the gasket if I don't have to. The top bolt scares me since part of the block is also broken off....

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Inline 6 cracked water jacket?!

With the cracks in the cover I would suggest removing it and doing a thorough inspection of the water passages in the block.You surely don't want to assemble something that's going to leak. If the block looks good get a new gasket and use your other cover.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I'm of the don't fix it if it isn't broken. Don't touch it and let it leak first. It may not. If so then come in with a flat washer under the bolt to provide pressure on the water jacket cover and JB Weld to fill in any cracks. Ensure you give the JB a nice clean roughed up surface to which it can adhere. You are only having to deal with 12 psi max and that isn't much.

My 2c,
Mark

reynold460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i wouldnt waste my money on doing anything to that motor they have epoxy holding the top bolt to the block with the vibration of the motor its not gonna hold

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Leave it alone. If it leaks put some silicone caulk on it. That part of the block is not important. You did notice that at least some of the cylinder head water jacket cover bolts are thru bolts with nuts? Makes it real easy to replace gasket if you have to.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

y i would say hmmm this is a tricky one ??? since ur tearing into it maybe check it out rather than have it leak while ur on the lake ??? i guees itd be a chance u take if u dont touch it !! i would probably leave it maybe just add some jb weld or strong strong marine epoxy to ir while u have it open ??? at the very least re-inforce it a lil bit !!! and even then its not the right thing to do but mayb a temp... fix again not a lotta preassure in there so who knows ...if its not leaking idk that id worry about it too much but id def... try n re-inforce that crack and put sumn around that bolt rouch it up and clean with degreaser reall good at least so u get a good bond ...other than that obviously ony thing to do is open her up ????

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a '73 1500 that I'm working on. This motor sat outside in the weather uncovered for a few years so I'm replacing just about everything. The powerhead was rebuilt just before it sat and only has a couple hours on it. Today I pulled the cowl support off and found this on the water jacket cover on the front of the motor:
View attachment 186158

The area around the top bolt is broken off. I have no idea how this could have happened? There was just a piece of aluminum sitting on top. Maybe water got in there and froze?

Also, under another bolt in the middle the aluminum is cracked:
View attachment 186157

It almost looks like the bolts were overtightened, but I don't remember ever seeing that when I installed the powerhead several years ago. Is this something I'm going to need to fix? I can't tell if it's going to leak or not. I do have another one of the covers I can use but I don't want to mess with the gasket if I don't have to. The top bolt scares me since part of the block is also broken off....

why did it sit outside uncovered ???id imagined not winterized either ???? no good nonono !!!