"sticky" trim gauge

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
The trim gauge seems to be "sticking" at the bottom of movement. It works fine once it start moving but if it hits the bottom (like when turned off) if stays there until it gets enough force to move to full up. Is it possible to take apart and clean the inside of them without ruining?

It'd be nice to keep the gauge instead of buying a new one since the face matches the other gauges.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: "sticky" trim gauge

May be adjusted too low and just goes off scale.

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got it adjusted correctly (As far as I know at least). The trim gauge works when the ignition key is on. The problem is when the ignition key turns off the needle bottoms out. To get the gauge working again I have to move the outdrive up.

Don S

Adjust the gauge sender on the drive show it shows a little higher on the gauge and see if the sticking stops.

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I turn the ignition off it bottoms the needle no matter how I have the gauge adjusted. Once the needle is "unstuck" the tilt gauge functions normally from bottom to top of drive movement. I guess I could just tap the gauge with my finger every time I start the engine. :)

Don S

When I turn the ignition off it bottoms the needle no matter how I have the gauge adjusted. Once the needle is "unstuck" the tilt gauge functions normally from bottom to top of drive movement. I guess I could just tap the gauge with my finger every time I start the engine. :)

Or replace the gauge.

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, I guess that's what I'll have to do. Hopefully I can find one that matches. If not, oh well.

you might be able to oil the gauge but its a pain. If you pull the gauge then look into the hole the light plugs into you might be able to get to the bushing using a syringe with a tiny-tiny amount of clear grease. unrolling the ring that holds the glass in can be done but it takes ages and is a last resort. check around the web and maybe you will be lucky and find a gauge that matchs

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's not the type I have, but I see some that are similar enough for me on ebay.

Thanks!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

That's not the type I have, but I see some that are similar enough for me on ebay.

Thanks!

Would love to see a photo of your gauge set.... That one I posted is the 'standard' for Mercruiser to about 1983...

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would love to see a photo of your gauge set.... That one I posted is the 'standard' for Mercruiser to about 1983...

I don't have an ammeter either, and I was told they all came with them then as well.

It looks somewhat similar to this one, but the gauge is orientated vertically instead of horizontally and there's no little boat symbol.

Faria Trim Gauge for Mercury Volvo OMC Part GP4450A Brand New Boat Part | eBay

I'd take a picture but the boat's wrapped up until after the snow storm.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

That's the Merc Flagship series gauges. I have them in my boat....

attachment.php

I'll chase up a part number and post it for you.

Attachments

• DSC01710 (800 x 600).jpg
    DSC01710 (800 x 600).jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those gauges look very familiar and are of the same color, but the temp gauge has degree numbers, the oil temp shows PSI numbers and the volt gauge has a 12 in the center. I found an image of the trim gauge. I was wrong about the orientation. It is orientated horizontally.

image1.jpg

That's the only pic I have of the trim gauge.

The one I found on ebay is close enough for me... assuming they all work the same.