Need help reinstalling gimbal housing

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I am moving toward re-installing my gimbal housing and inner transom shield following a transom rebuild. I may be overlooking it the OEM service manuals, but I cannot find instructions for re-installing the gimbal housing, particularly with regards to any treatment for the large rubber seal that runs the perimeter. I have a new seal, but I'm not sure if anything else is needed -- I've seen a couple videos here where people add various sealers - gasket sealer in the groove that contains the big rubber seal, 3M 4200 around the gimbal housing where it meets the transom...

I'd like to do this by the book, but I'm not seeing where the Mercruiser manuals address this. Can someone direct me to a thread, a link or the correct section in the manual? I've got the OEM manuals for the engine and outdrive listed in my signature below.

Thanks!
Jim

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need help reinstalling gimbal housing

The big rubber ring around the gimbal housing gets glued into the gimbal housing. No sealant required between the transom and the seal.
DIYers may use sealer in their video's, but the boat manufacturers don't use any, and Merc doesn't call for it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

The big rubber ring around the gimbal housing gets glued into the gimbal housing. No sealant required between the transom and the seal.
DIYers may use sealer in their video's, but the boat manufacturers don't use any, and Merc doesn't call for it.

Thanks, Don, would something like Perfect Seal be an appropriate glue?

Jim

Don S

Perfect seals not a glue, it's a sealer, I always used bellows adhesive, always had a tube in the tool box.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

OK, I'll pick some up.

Thanks,
Jim

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Unfortunately, we don't have any marine supply stores in our vicinity and I was hoping to get on it this weekend. For this purpose, does it have to be bellows adhesive? If the goal is just to hold the gasket in place, would any rubber-safe adhesive be OK?

Jim

Don S

Unfortunately, we don't have any marine supply stores in our vicinity and I was hoping to get on it this weekend. For this purpose, does it have to be bellows adhesive? If the goal is just to hold the gasket in place, would any rubber-safe adhesive be OK?

Jim

Yes, most any contact cement will work, that's about all bellows adhesive is. Like I said before, bellows adhesive is what I used because it was always handy. I used it for sticking the water orings on the bellhousing, the large quad ring inside next to the bellows. It just keeps things in place while things are put together.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

OK, good to know. Thanks again!
Jim

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Yes, most any contact cement will work, that's about all bellows adhesive is. Like I said before, bellows adhesive is what I used because it was always handy. I used it for sticking the water orings on the bellhousing, the large quad ring inside next to the bellows. It just keeps things in place while things are put together.

Don even has it on his breakfast, just to be sure... :D :D

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's great on pancakes really sticks to your ribs:)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I bought some Pliobond, but I have to say, it doesn't taste very good. I guess it really does pay to go with OEM stuff...

:D

Jim