Mercury XR6 150hp hot water???

bretmoua

Cadet
Ok, so I noticed that the water from my motor is no longer coming out from the pee hole like a stream. It's now spitting until I rev the motor up on idle do it come out like pee. LOL So I know for sure, my impeller needs to be replace again. My question is, why is that water hot? Is it suppose to be hot, warm, or cold? Please help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercury XR6 150hp hot water???

Ok, so I noticed that the water from my motor is no longer coming out from the pee hole like a stream. It's now spitting until I rev the motor up on idle do it come out like pee. LOL So I know for sure, my impeller needs to be replace again. My question is, why is that water hot? Is it suppose to be hot, warm, or cold? Please help.

Ayuh,... I agree,...

Less water, movin' slower is Gonna be warmer....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The stat is 143F on opening if like most Mercs of the era. Ot alarm is at 195F. US domestic hot water heaters with the control in the N position are at 140F. Like BO said, slower the water, more heat it picks up. It's a weight vs absorbed heat thing.

Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

It probably makes sense to check the poppit valve at the same time as you replace the impeller.

bretmoua

Cadet

I was in the process of selling the boat and the potential buyer said that the cylinders were starting to warp and soon the motor will fry. Does that even make sense at all?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I was in the process of selling the boat and the potential buyer said that the cylinders were starting to warp and soon the motor will fry. Does that even make sense at all?

Based upon what?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Never heard of cylinder warping. Overheat will cause motor to seize. Maybe that was his word for it.

bretmoua

Cadet

Oh and the potential buyer also said he has a 20hp and the water comes out cool. But oh well, I sold the boat already and had picked up my newer boat as well. LOL. I noticed that with my newer boat, the water does come out hot too, but not to the point where you can't put you hand there. I guess that's how it is because the thermostats won't open until it reaches a certain degree.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Oh and the potential buyer also said he has a 20hp and the water comes out cool. But oh well, I sold the boat already and had picked up my newer boat as well. LOL. I noticed that with my newer boat, the water does come out hot too, but not to the point where you can't put you hand there. I guess that's how it is because the thermostats won't open until it reaches a certain degree.

Maybe his 20 didn't have a thermostat. As I told you a couple of days ago, the stat starts opening at 143F. Go and stick you hand under your sink water with temperature turned all the way to hot. That's 140F if your heater control is sitting on normal.