Two outboards, one fuel/water seperator?

titanxt

Cadet
Hello!

I have a 2005 Ranger Reata 1850VS with two 2005 Yamaha 4-stroke outboard motors - one is an F150 and the other is an 8-hp kicker. Currently, both are being feed fuel from one main line out of the gas tank that splits via a "Y". The larger diameter fuel hose runs to the F150 and a smaller diameter fuel line runs to the 8hp. Both have priming bulbs.

I would like to install a Yamaha fuel/water seperator. I thought about going staright from the tank to the seperator, then out to both motors. However, I called Yamaha today and received a different piece of advice. I was told to come off the tank, "Y" out to two seperate seperators (one regular and one "mini"), install a check valve after each seperator and then go out to the motors. Is this necessary? Currently, I do not experience any vaccum issues with the "Y" setup that I have now, I assume because of the check valve in the priming bulbs. Maybe feeding both motors off of one seperator would be ok and installin check valves after it might be added insurance?

What do you think?

Thank you!

Andy

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Two outboards, one fuel/water seperator?

I would uses a single 10 micron fuel /water separator with one hose in and 2 hoses out. Plenty of capacity,
a cleaner install and you won't need a Y.

The big Yamaha filter will handle 2 F150's

Can't hurt to add a check valve in each outlet hose, would be a cheap and clean install and offer some
protection if something fails the between the separator and the engines.

Capt Ken

Commander

Do as Yamaha directed. If you have a filter problem with the big engine, you don't need it affecting the kicker. Also the check valves are needed due to the small engine being carb'ed and it can allow air back into the fuel system and starve the other engine. Myself would use a gas valve rather than a check valve being I've seen check valves not seal
Never run more than one engine off a filter.

titanxt

Cadet

Capt. Ken,

When you say, "Never run more than one engine off a filter", I assume that means at not and not just running one at a time, correct?

titanxt

Cadet

I forgot...

Did I mention that I only have one fuel line coming out of my tank? So I will have to "Y" the line and send it to the two seperate units if I choose to go the two seperator route.

Thanks!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No outboard manufacturer recommends that you Tee a fuel line or Tee off a fuel filter housing without some type of positive separation between the engine's fuel system.

They specify separate fuel pickups or a fuel selector valve to isolate each engine. You can also use two on-off valves of the correct size on the motors. Make sure the valves are designed for gasoline use and that they are not ordinary plumbing items.

Capt Ken

Commander

One engine, one filter. Two engines, two filters. Same goes with batteries. I've seen people run two engines off one battery.