best way to attach Beckson marine channel

fisheatingbagel

Recruit
Hello,
I'm getting ready to re-set the windows on a Kingscraft 40ft hb with Beckson marine channel, but I'm stumped on the best way to fasten it. Seems rivets or screws in the bottom of the channel will interfere with the glass, and there's really no way to countersink. Should I use adhesive/3M 5100 or similar? 5100 will be pretty thick and may raise the channel too much...

any suggestions?

thanks,
dave

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: best way to attach Beckson marine channel

From looking at the material on their website, it looks as though you could easily countersink some Stainless Steel wood screws right down the middle of the "raised hump"...just use a center punch to carefully mark where you need to drill, then use a countersink drill to open it up...

You should still seal everything, the screws and the channel with a high quality marine sealant to prevent any water intrusion...

Another suggestion I have is to contact the manufacturer directly and ask how they recommend these channels to be attached...

Good Luck!
GT1M

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello,
I'm getting ready to re-set the windows on a Kingscraft 40ft hb with Beckson marine channel, but I'm stumped on the best way to fasten it. Seems rivets or screws in the bottom of the channel will interfere with the glass, and there's really no way to countersink. Should I use adhesive/3M 5100 or similar? 5100 will be pretty thick and may raise the channel too much...

any suggestions?

thanks,
dave

Do you mean 5200 sealant ? .. 5100 is a buffing pad :D .

If you do mean 5200 for your channel then NO .. dont do it.

You can 5200 the Holes after you Dry fit your channel .. but dont bed down the whole channel with it.

In this case a 3m Silicone might be better to use to bead down the channel ..

Sure you can counter sink/Taper the drill holes in the plastic channel for screws .. but it might be better to rivet it down.

Call up the supplier and ask them what is best.

If its rivets or screws .. caulk your Heads in the application.

YD.

fisheatingbagel

Recruit

Do you mean 5200 sealant ? .. 5100 is a buffing pad :D .

ha, ha...yes I meant 5200 - duh!

I sent an email to Beckson earlier, but haven't heard back. The challenge with countersinking is getting a countersink into the narrow channel. I'll look around and see if I can find some skinny countersinks...