Salt on boat

agallant80

Commander
Any advice for making things last in salt water? It seams to get everywhere, on the bimini, camper canvas, hull etc. Should I flush the motor and wash the boat down after each use in salt water or is it just more work than its worth?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Salt on boat

For us, I view the engine as most important and it always gets flushed a.s.a.p. after pulling up from the ramp and every 2-3 trips I use Salt-Away during the flush.

If there is time that same day to do a soap-and-wash of the boat, that it done right then or the next day.

A lot of different products to clean canvas, glass, etc. so may need to find what best works for you.

Mark

agallant80

Commander

How do you flush the motor? Do you just use the jug and the ear muffs?

Bondo

Staff member

How do you flush the motor? Do you just use the jug and the ear muffs?

Ayuh,.... Muffs, 'n a hose is how most folks do it....

I only splash in the brine every few years, 'n when I do, I dump the barge into a near by freshwater pond, 'n go for another boat ride to flush out the salt...

Fluid Film is a Great product for sprayin' on the motor, 'n other metal parts, to protect from the brine...

agallant80

Commander

Muffs and 5 gal winterization kit with fresh water work? No hose at dock.

agallant80

Commander

Trailer but its not stored at my house I keep it at a storage lot

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm in the same situation but I'm able to pull my boat in front of the driveway leaving the hazard flashers on while flushing and washing then take it back to the storage place.

I've never tried the 5 gallon method and not sure if that would be enough for a 10 minute flush; may have to find a way of keeping it filled.

Mark

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If it's an inboard, I'd defer to someone who has one and who regularly boats in salt water. I know the lake boaters around here are scared to death of salt water, but I don't believe that all the inboards around here are flushed regularly, if at all. of course, a lot would depend on if its raw-water cooled and if it's a quality marine engine made for salt water, too.

As for fittings, electrical connections, etc.: The ones that are exposed to light and air are less of a problem than the ones that are enclosed somewhere (and covering a boat = more enclosure = more trapped moisture). So go through your concealed parts such as battery connections, wiring board (back side of the dash), starter connections, etc. and hit them with white lithium grease or some protective coating. NEVER use WD40; it attracts salt.

Hopefully your boat is made from quality marine fittings (since it's a boat, not a piano) so hinges, fittings, etc. will do OK with ordinary maintenance. Beeswax or chapstick is a good treatment for zippers and snaps.

Your hull, bimini and covers are all made for salt water and your boat is for use in the water, so there is nothing to worry about there. If cosmetic appearance is a concern, then just rinse it off with a hose. But think: don't hose off the interior and then put a cover up; you have to let it dry.

then it's like cars--it's better to keep them in a garage, but it's OK to leave them in the drive way.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Experience and heard it said, so it must be so.

Also heard WD stands for "water drying" so it's great to use if you drop a fishing reel overboard to get rid of the water, but then use an oil or other substance that protects the now-dry parts. Even though it says "lubricates" on the can, it's not that effective because it is so thin--it's more of a solvent like acetone than a lubricant.

So I can't say for sure that it "attracts" salt (although this discussion is bound to attract all the chemical engineers around, if they get distracted from the E-10 discussions) but it leaves metal exposed to salt. Like most of us, I used it forever, as did our forefathers, and know the complete tool box = duct tape + WD40. But I've quit. Not easy, either. But I don;t have as much green on my tackle and equipment now.

agallant80

Commander

I am not really sure if covering a motor with any kind of oil is a good idea. I can imagine it smoking off if you put too much on or worse starting a fire.

tpenfield

Staff member

I would occasionally hose the deck and cockpit down if things got too salty. Some folks hose the entire boat down every time they use it, but I don't. Your engine flushing sounds like a challenge. If you carry enough water, like 10 gallons, maybe could could use it to flush the engine once you are in the storage yard.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I am not really sure if covering a motor with any kind of oil is a good idea. I can imagine it smoking off if you put too much on or worse starting a fire.

don't cover the motor. Paint doesn't rust. Hit the electrical connections, such as where the power wire bolts to the starter.

Look, salt water and air isn't as bad as the lake boaters make it sound. Your gear isn't going to start crumbling. You may as well lay awake worrying that your hot water heater is going to explode. As I said about the concealed things, chances aere, just about anything you can get to isn't going to rust.

Flushing motors is a relatively new practice, so no one did it years ago, and now, lots of people never do it--those who keep boats in the water or on lifts; lots ot trailer boaters don't; everyone gets along fine.

if you are in high salt (like ocean, not bay) or water with a lot of silt and sand, change your water pump impeller--the rubber gets eaten.

But I can't comment on "risers" other than to say I've heard they need addressing. Don't even know what they are.

tpenfield

Staff member

Yup, . . . Oil goes In the engine not On the engine . . .

My suggestion is to hang out by the ocean docks . . . you will be able to see and talk with a few of us salt water boaters and get a feel for what is important.

sasto

Captain

Good stuff from some ol' salts here.

I live in salt myself! I spend hours in it......and hours surrounded by it. Ya'ot to see me!!!

Enjoy and Good Luck!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Also heard WD stands for "water drying"
Water displacing.

As far as flushing, I always flush and use the Volvo Neutra-Salt system.

OP can use that same system if he has a Bravo drive.

Flushing motors is a relatively new practice,
Been flushing the engine after salt water since my parent's boat in 1972. Is that considered recently?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I've been using Boeshield for many years. It's expensive but well worth it. Bring the engine up to operating temp, then it sprays on like an oil but dries to a wax film to protect against rust. It's non conductive so you don't have to worry about getting it on anything electrical. I use a pressure washer very lightly to remove it in the spring and fall then re-apply when the engines are dry. Great stuff! :D

Boeshield T-9? | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Any advice for making things last in salt water? It seams to get everywhere, on the bimini, camper canvas, hull etc. Should I flush the motor and wash the boat down after each use in salt water or is it just more work than its worth?

I vote for B: "just more work than its worth?" after initial protection.

Dinahmoehumm

Cadet

I run my boat (a 2008 Monterey 220) in the bays and bayous (brackish) and the Gulf of Mexico (salt, obviously). Mostly in brackish water though. It may be overkill on my part, but I flush the engine after every use with a salt-away product and give the hull and cabin (as required), a good scrub with soap and lots of fresh water. I keep all the hinges, snaps, etc. lubricated, use a corrosion inhibitor on the engine, and hit the serpentine belt with belt dressing from time to time. Staying ahead of the corrosion takes some effort, but it's well worth it in my opinion. Boats run in salt water can take a beating, more than our fresh water cousins I'd say. Good luck and stay safe!

Dinah
Fort Walton Beach/Destin, Florida