71 Evinrude Yatchwin magneto

I bought my first boat last summer (14ft starcraft) and it came with a 71 Evinrude 4hp. Needless to say I have been getting a crash course on how frustrating owning a boat is. I think I had 2 successful fishing trips last summer without the motor breaking down or not starting at all. The guy before me completely neglected everything that has to do with it. So long story short, I'm in the process of rebuilding my carburetor and figure I might as well take apart the magneto and replace what needs replaced with that. The only problem is, I can't find the wires (excuse me for my ignorance I don't have the terminology down yet) that connect to the spark plugs. Are these just regular wires like in a distributor of a car or do they have to be a certain gauge? Or does anyone know where I can find these wires? The previous owner has completely mangled these to the point where they are completely covered in tape and barely long enough to reach the spark plugs. Now I'm no electrical genius but I'm assuming this could be part of the problem with cold starts.

While I have it apart, I was told to replace the breaker points and the condenser considering they probably have never been replaced. Or at least in the last 10 years. Is there anything else I should be looking at to replace in the magneto?

Any and all advice will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 71 Evinrude Yatchwin magneto

One that old often needs coils, inspect them for cracks.

64osby

Admiral

7 mm copper core wire is what you want. Buy on line, at your local boat dealer & marina, small engine shops, and NAPA.

There are some great links posted in some of the low hp threads and up in the sticky's. Do a little searching and they will give you a step by step on giving the motor its proper tune up and getting you on the water enjoying your boat, not swearing at it.:)

Rick.

Captain

Your on the right track with the items you mentioned + the coils. I would recommend you get yourself an OMC service manual for your specific year and make. You will be happy you did and it will save you money over time. You can get them on ebay. I have the same motor in a short shaft and wouldn't trade it for anything. I really like it but there was a time where it frustrated me to the breaking point. Now, all is well. Best of luck. Rick.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi kress. Yes, you'll need to use 7mm copper core spark plug wires. Check Napa and other local auto parts/small engine shops. They will often sell i for a few dollars a foot. You may as well get new boots and spark pulgs too. Also, be sure you twist the new wires onto the coil posts as well. Here's a great link that can walk you through the whole job.

3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967