18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Figured I would reserve an official home here for my offshore V progress. Which I think will now be named "she just needs a floor":facepalm:

Bought boat+trailer for $600, I will be using a 70hp evinrude I already own.
picked up Saturday, fully gutted Sunday!
Since then I'm just doing research on materials, this is my first aluminum.

So far rough plans are:

-transom: 7 ply marine grade 3/4" glued together and epoxy coated.
-floor: 5/8 or more likely 3/4 T&G exterior plywood, coated all around with 635 4:1 epoxy from Epoxy :*Epoxy Resins and Hardeners
(went with the 4:1 because of colder temps in march, although its about to warm up)
-riveting floor down, leaning toward floor paint rather than vinyl right now
-block foam from local supplier, not expanding foam.
-gluvit inside, although I don't know if it needs it. I have not water tested the hull yet, outside looks ok.

-shorten splashwell
-add ski locker storage of some sort
-windshield harvested from my 16' fiberglass

Some of these were already posted elsewhere, but here they are again:
StarcraftOffshoreV1_zps57f29ce1.jpg

StarcraftOffshoreV2_zps01faac27.jpg

StarcraftOffshoreV4_zps6a18cd9e.jpg

StarcraftOffshoreV5_zps225e7056.jpg

StarcraftOffshoreV6_zpsbbbaf118.jpg

Attachments

• StarcraftOffshoreV1_zps57f29ce1.jpg
    StarcraftOffshoreV1_zps57f29ce1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: 18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

I recall eye-balling that once or twice...listed out of Lowell, Mass?

Good luck! looking forward to following your progress!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

squad-car outside of the driveway on day-1...neighbors throw you under the bus already?? :lol:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

yeah lowell mass, nice guy. It was more work than I wanted to get in to, but I'm tired of looking and needed to pull the trigger. I would have probably ended up doing the same work on anything with a rotten floor anyway.

haha the cop car, that was a weird story... not related to me, but a bizarre one. totally ruined my photo:grumpy:

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like a great project. A little $$and elbow grease and she should be good as new.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

what does the OFFSHORE designation get you over any other 18 footer, ??

bob

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yeah lowell mass, nice guy. It was more work than I wanted to get in to, but I'm tired of looking and needed to pull the trigger. I would have probably ended up doing the same work on anything with a rotten floor anyway.

haha the cop car, that was a weird story... not related to me, but a bizarre one. totally ruined my photo:grumpy:

Brought her home like you stole it, didn't ya. :joyous: Quick work getting her cleaned out.

Bob - the Offshore hulls are deeper. Look how high the sides are.

64osby

Admiral

Edit - GA beat me to it. Great to see it posted up.

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like you've done your research on the floor. Nice solid platform to build on. looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Brought her home like you stole it, didn't ya. :joyous: Quick work getting her cleaned out.

Bob - the Offshore hulls are deeper. Look how high the sides are.

the 69 brochure listed above says this

OAL centerline
holiday 18' 2"
Offshore 18'0"

max beam
holiday 84"
offshore 82"

maximum DEPTH
holiday 44"
offshore 43"

thats why i asked

bob

GA_Boater

I can't explain it, Bob. Except the note says including keel. Maybe the floor depth is different. :noidea:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice hull. How are you planning to lay it out? Center console? or more like an SS?

dozerII

Admiral

The offshore uses heavier aluminum, slightly different hull design, and more strakes, including extenting one up the bow.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Nice hull. How are you planning to lay it out? Center console? or more like an SS?

I wanted a CC for a while, but I've decided to go with the open bow type. I like the slight wind protection of a windshield at night.
Shortend splashwell is a must though.

I have entertained the idea of perhaps a hinged passenger side console, so it can unbuckle and fold down, giving the fishing space of a side console.
Not going to do it but its a cool thought...transformer boat.

The offshore uses heavier aluminum, slightly different hull design, and more strakes, including extenting one up the bow.

Nice, I just assumed they were mostly the same hull and "offshore v" was the cool name given to the open bow that year, there is no 18' SS listed in 1969.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Many bolts/screws are rusted out, like the bolts used to mount the transom wood.
Should I be using stainless steel fasteners on everything and caulk where it comes in contact with aluminum for corrosion?

The boat will be trailered in and out of saltwater.

GA_Boater

The original transom bolts were stainless. Stainless should be used, even for freshwater. 3M 5200 to seal below water line.

barato2

Commander

to add to what GA said, if the transom bolts were mild steel, that means they were replaced by some previous owner at some point. that also means i'd plan on looking really hard for anything else dodgy that owner may have done to the boat............

dozerII

Admiral

What B2 said, you really don't want regular steel bolts corroding the aluminum on the boat.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

not according to the brochure.... the offshore hull and ribs are made from .080", while the starchielf and islander are made from .085"

not that it makes that much difference..

I was looking for a really rough water boat and I would love to come across any model that was heavier duty...because personally I think .085" is THIN!!//my 21 ft MOD V, has a .105" thick hull!!

i had wondered what the V5 offered as well other than the extra keel strip on either side...like a steeper cutwater, or a deeper V, anyone know?

bob