boat gauges

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Hello there!
I own this:
1982 70hp Evinrude outboard model: e70elcnb

I want to outfit my boat with some gauges, I have never had any before.

I know I need a tach and volt meter. I assume a temp gauge is also has a feeder from the motor?

I'm not going bother with speedometer or fuel... am I missing anything else?

thank you

I have the type of wiring harness comes off the motor to right up to the key.

[edit]
guess Ill just ask, are there any brands that I should stay away from?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: boat gauges

Teleflex makes a complete line of inexpensive gauges with a number of different face appearances. Check them out on the web, then visit your local boat dealer. They can get them for you from their parts distributors. That engine does not have a temp sender that will feed a dash gauge. When you purchase that guage, you'll have to order a matching sender/bracket- then mount it so it touches the head. Some folks also like the water pressure gauge. 0-30 lbs. Connects to the block where the telltale is. Shows the variable water pressure coming up from the lower unit.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

tach cables that connect to the 3-prong plug are still out there.

Or you can just hard-wire it, the grey wire is the tach sense, purple is the positive (A)Accessory and black is ground (little-M).

looking at the controller wiring diagram, I believe if you want to monitor the cranking motor's battery only when the ignition switch is in the "on" position, you can jump the purple ("Accessory") and ground over to the volt meter (I haven't personally tried this so guys please keep me honest here!).

lastly, many of these gauges have a "light" terminal. you'd want that to be switched and also on the accessory node.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you manage to get a temp gauge, sender, and sender mounting bracket that works with your motor, let me know. My attempt was a failure.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Ill let you know, I might just go with the tach and boat voltmeter only

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Ok really stupid question coming out...
12V starter battery

Why does a 12V voltmeter go to 18 volts, so you can see if somehow extra power has been introduced? My boats have always been pirate ships with no gauges, want to make sure I bought the right stuff.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Your engine probably puts out battery charging voltage through the rectifier on the engine. Once started, the engine's charging coils starts to put current back into the battery. Not unusual for the volt guage to get up to 16+ volts after the engine has been running for 15-20 minutes. That's normal, and indicates the battery is charged/is charging. So..you'll need a volt guage which can go up to at least 17 volts.