What to do with an old boat hull?

DirtyOldBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm thinking about picking up an old boat for cheap because I want the outboard. The hull is garbage but I have to take it. What the heck do I do with a 16' fiberglass boat hull? How much does it cost to get rid of something like that? I don't think they take things that big at the local garbage "transfer" place. I could always cut it up and put it in the dumpster at my shop, but I don't really want all that nasty dust...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: What to do with an old boat hull?

You could always offer it up to anybody for free and see if there are any takers. Who know, they could be somebody wanting to take it and rebuild it for a project... JMHO!

southkogs

Staff member

Around here it costs about $150 to drop an old FG hull at Waste Management.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take it to the landfill. I took a 22 foot sailboat to the dump last year and it was $55. Most dumps will go by weight and have a minimun $$$. I think our minimum is $45 and something like $70/ ton???

But like gm280 said, you could try giving it away... people love free boats

Austin

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Find someone with kids and tell em it would make a great playhouse if set up properly!

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it comes with the trailer, someone would definitely take it for free . They will trash the boat and scrap out the trailer for cash. But if just the hull, dump is your best bet.

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

A guy up the street from the boat ramp that I use has neat old fiberform hull in his front yard that he filled with dirt and planted flowers in. Sounds kind of trashy, but it is neat looking.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know about Oregon, but in Florida if that boat came with a clear title it would be a big help to someone who bought a boat without a title as here in Florida you need a title to register a boat.

I've seen people take old tri-hulls and gut them, build a platform up front and a center console in the back, nothing for show but a nice stable fishing boat. It's fun to be creative with a sawsall when you know there's nothing to lose.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

it cost me $43 to take a 27' cruiser to the local landfill

DirtyOldBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A guy up the street from the boat ramp that I use has neat old fiberform hull in his front yard that he filled with dirt and planted flowers in. Sounds kind of trashy, but it is neat looking.

I can just imagine the letter I'd get from my HOA! :lol:

I guess I need to decide if I want the trailer or not first. Depends on the condition. I don't even know where the closest "dump" is. All we seem to have are "transfer stations", basically where garbage is loaded onto bigger trucks for transportation to....?

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check with the Fire Department nearest your favorite water body. Sometimes they accept old hulls to practice putting out fires on...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

sawzall and lots of blades.

Here in the Twin Cities, there is a place called Twin City Outboards that is a boat motor graveyard. When I needed a new lower unit for my 3hp 1957 Johnson, the first question was "what paint color do you need." Impressive inventory. This is from their website, and while they seem to be discouraging the act of dropping of a boat, there is good info:

Q: Can I drop off an old boat, even for free?

A: You cannot just drop anything off here. I most cases, the cost to dispose of boats has increased to the point that we must charge to take old boats now. We will have to see the boat, and subtract the value of the engine and trailer from our cost to dispose of the boat, including about 3 hours to remove gas tanks, lines, foam, and vinyl/plastic. Dumps have become quite picky, and expensive.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I'm thinking about picking up an old boat for cheap because I want the outboard. The hull is garbage but I have to take it. What the heck do I do with a 16' fiberglass boat hull? How much does it cost to get rid of something like that? I don't think they take things that big at the local garbage "transfer" place. I could always cut it up and put it in the dumpster at my shop, but I don't really want all that nasty dust...

How about posting a picture of this 16' trashed boat hull you want to get rid of. I'd like to see what you are dealing with. YOu never know, what seems like trash to one person could be exactly what some other person has been looking for. And it may even be a nice boat project that you can't see at this time...

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class

I say put a for sale sign on it and park it so some one can back up to it. Someone will surely steel it.