Best fuel line

bigb56

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to buy a good fuel line (portable tank to motor) for my Evinrude. It is very confusing out there to know which brand is best. Is OMC still making them? I ordered one off Ebay that said "OMC" and instead I received a Seasense made in Taiwan.:grumpy: I looked on this site and could only find connectors for Evinrude, no complete assemblies. I just want an OEM fuel line assembly.

Thanks

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Best fuel line

any boat shops in the area? if so, just go buy ethanol rated line in the correct size by the foot. if not, you should be able to get the ethanol rated line at your local auto parts store , again...by the foot.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Is there no dealers in your area?

The fuel line/bulb assemblies from the dealer are by far the best. The cheapo aftermarket ones seem to fail.

bigb56

Seaman Apprentice

No, there are no dealers here in the desert. We used to have some but they all closed when the economy took a dump. There is a dealer in the next town but that is where my son got the one we are using now, which is questionable. What is a good brand, Moeller? Are any of them still made in the US?

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought some ethanol proof line from a Honda dealer, by the foot. Works great. Replace ALL the fuel lines, chokes etc, with the ethanol lines.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

I bought some ethanol proof line from a Honda dealer, by the foot. Works great. Replace ALL the fuel lines, chokes etc, with the ethanol lines.

Retired, is that the grey colored very flexible fuel line as opposed to the standard black stiffer rubber sort? That grey stuff is the kind that came with my Honda and that's what I would get if I could find a source to buy the hose by the foot. Honda dealer, huh...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Agree with Fastbullet. Go with the Bombardier fuel line. It's compliant with the new 2013 gov't regs for ethanol. It comes in two hose sizes: 8' 5/16" 5008609 and 10' 3/8" 5008589. These new Bombardier (gov' compliant) hoses are not cheap, but you won't have issues with the ethanol breaking down the inner hose liner. I wouldn't be using the grey, flexible line.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I've seen the clear inner liner of these grey hoses become yellow and brittle from the ethanol. Once this happens, that inner liner breaks into pcs and can migrate down the fuel hose toward the connector by the engine. This can cause running issues, as well as a lean condition. Lots of problems with the 2004-2009 hoses.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I must strongly disagree with the notion that the grey Walmart crap is up to snuff. You are very lucky. Here's what mine looked like after a lil over a year!?

I spent a few bucks & replaced it with the new(er) blue(er) Sierra stuff.

Attachments

• EthanolAfter1Year.jpg
    EthanolAfter1Year.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 5

terrysandlin

Seaman

I have had success with going to NAPA, telling them what I want and they have it in stock.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I have had success with going to NAPA, telling them what I want and they have it in stock.
Agreed. I routinely buy parts, gaskets. etc. From NAPA. Great, often overlooked, source for marine engine parts.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

OK, this is a topic that currently affects me so doing a little research I found specs on some fuel lines sold by Sierra and others are rated as USCG Type A 1-15. The grey flexible hose I have now is USCG Type B1-15. The stuff I got from the auto parts store is, ArmorMark 50060 SAE J30R7.
I think I understand that the Coast Guard rated stuff is also fire resistant so does anyone know what all those numbers mean and what specs to look for for the top ethanol blended fuel line?

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

i normally just go to my local auyo parts store and buy reg fuel line for mine,its cheap enough to replace every year if needed and i also run the stabil for 2 cycle,which is the green stuff in every tank of fuel because of the ethanal that is put in fuels now a days......

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

OK, this is a topic that currently affects me so doing a little research I found specs on some fuel lines sold by Sierra and others are rated as USCG Type A 1-15. The grey flexible hose I have now is USCG Type B1-15. The stuff I got from the auto parts store is, ArmorMark 50060 SAE J30R7.
I think I understand that the Coast Guard rated stuff is also fire resistant so does anyone know what all those numbers mean and what specs to look for for the top ethanol blended fuel line?

'
Type A-1 marine hose has to be fireproof for at least 2-1/2 minutes by a direct flame while filled with gasoline and should be used under decks or in inaccessible places. It is also required for all inboard engines. The type B-1 is OK for exposed areas such as from the transom to the outboard.

The " -15 " on the hose means that it is EPA approved for evaporative emissions and is required on all boats and engines built since about 2010.

the J30R7 spec says:

Recommended for low pressure/high temperature fuel for passenger car, light truck and small engine applications. Not intended for fuel injection systems.

IMPORTANT: J30R7 is not Coast Guard approved for marine applications.