3.7 Mercruiser

greg crosby

Seaman Apprentice
I'm new to forums. I was advised to come to this IO forum. I have a chance to buy 1988 221 Islander with galv trailer $4-5K range. Problem is it has the infamous 3.7. I am trying to learn: What to look for. Also interested in repowering. Don't need huge speed. I get the stringer change thing but am wondering if a new type four cylnder engine would be a good swap? How about in line 6cyl? Would be nice to have injection and electronic ignition.

3.7 waterpump and alternator problems . What to do to retro alternator? Will good maintenance(oil etc) avoid waterpump problems ? Aluminum head better? Any info appreciated.

The hotrodders(H.A.M.B. site) have a lot of info on these engines but way above my expertise. They know how to get huge power out of the 3.7!??

Hope I got these questions in the right place this time.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3.7 Mercruiser

I'm new to forums. I was advised to come to this IO forum. I have a chance to buy 1988 221 Islander with galv trailer $4-5K range. Problem is it has the infamous 3.7. I am trying to learn: What to look for. Also interested in repowering. Don't need huge speed. I get the stringer change thing but am wondering if a new type four cylnder engine would be a good swap? How about in line 6cyl? Would be nice to have injection and electronic ignition.

3.7 waterpump and alternator problems . What to do to retro alternator? Will good maintenance(oil etc) avoid waterpump problems ? Aluminum head better? Any info appreciated.

The hotrodders(H.A.M.B. site) have a lot of info on these engines but way above my expertise. They know how to get huge power out of the 3.7!??

Hope I got these questions in the right place this time.

Howdy,

If you haven't bought the boat, most of us here would suggest you don't (buy it)

An internet (google/yahoo/bing) search will reveal a plethora of info on all the troubles and parts availability for the infamous 3.7L/470 engines.

They have been obsolete for a LONG time. Yes, you can replace them with other engines but you usually have to change the drive and possiblly the transom shield too. (essentially replace everything... but the engine compartment MUST be "size & mount" compatible.....some aren't)

$4000-$5000 for ANY 1988 boat with a 470 installed is IMHO, about $4000-$5000 too much.

Regards,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... I agree with Rick,...

That boat is Waaaaaay over priced with that motor,....

You'll end up spendin Double that money to get rid of the 470...

Keep lookin',... There's 1000s of used boats out there...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I am a 470 guy, and would consider buying another boat with one, however, I would agree with bond-o and HT, the boat is way overpriced and it is best you stay away. You should be able to find a lot newer boat with a 4.3 for that kind of money.

matt167

Captain

A Starcraft Islander 221 is a very popular boat and I have seen them in the $10k range for nice boats in that year range. The 3.7L wasn't Merc's best idea and they have forgotten about it, but if there was one boat I would consider with one, an Islander 221 would be THE boat I would consider with it but it would have to be a nice boat to begin with. Plenty of rotbox glassers that could give up a good 4.3L/ Alpha One for dirt cheap. The 4.3L is what the Islander 221 was most common with thru there production run, but even a 3.0L would power that boat

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Be patient greg. Fall out of love with the 3.7 powered boat. A better deal on a better powered one will come along.

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you don't get in a rush and do your homework, you should be able to land a nice boat for 5k that doesn't need much (if anything) at all done to it.
I think that's way overpriced, you can do better, just be patient.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... I agree with Rick,...

That boat is Waaaaaay over priced with that motor,....

You'll end up spendin Double that money to get rid of the 470...

Keep lookin',... There's 1000s of used boats out there...

^^^+1 For the money your looking to spend you can do much better and not have to deal with all the headaches of the 470.