Fire at the place where I store my boat..

bcnul8tr

Seaman
Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
Re: Fire at the place where I store my boat..

:eek:

Hoping for the best for you!!

bcnul8tr

Seaman

Well good news for me. My boat was one of the lucky ones that didn't sustain any damage. But I feel very sorry for the other 24 boats that were lost. It is a big blow for our area :(

southkogs

Staff member

Sorry for the losses - glad yours wasn't one of 'em though.

tallcanadian

Captain

Good to hear. I think most of them were along the fence. It was quite a sight for sure. Hello from Dartmouth.

MikeM8560

Seaman Apprentice

good for you sorry for the rest I once had a 32 Trojan crushed with a storage building collapsed under wet snow once

NYBo

Admiral

I imagine the boatyard's insurance will have to make the affected owners whole.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Here in MA many boat yards only carry liability insurance if they work on your boat and screw up. If it is stolen, vandalized or otherwise damaged you are on the hook. Check the fine print of your storage contract. I almost found out the hard way.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

most likely not... at least the contracts i've seen, unless the boat yard was negligent, they won't have to cover it. But on the other hand, if one of the boat owners did something against the rules (left a connected battery in a boat and it shorted out), its very likely the boat owners liability will have to pay... At least every slip I've ever been in had a clause that was exactly that. If your boat shorted out and lit up a portion of the dock, your (required) liability insurance pays.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Glad to hear you came out unscathed. I know the feeling!

Back in January we suffered a fire at the company I work for. Burned for 4 days before tey got it out. Company lost about 70% of the whole facility. A whole production area, shipping/receiving, processing area, one cold storage area and the whole office area.

NYBo

Admiral

Here in MA many boat yards only carry liability insurance if they work on your boat and screw up. If it is stolen, vandalized or otherwise damaged you are on the hook. Check the fine print of your storage contract. I almost found out the hard way.

most likely not... at least the contracts i've seen, unless the boat yard was negligent, they won't have to cover it. But on the other hand, if one of the boat owners did something against the rules (left a connected battery in a boat and it shorted out), its very likely the boat owners liability will have to pay... At least every slip I've ever been in had a clause that was exactly that. If your boat shorted out and lit up a portion of the dock, your (required) liability insurance pays.
I would never have thought a business would operate without full insurance in this day and age. Thanks for opening my eyes.

UncleWillie

Captain

I would never have thought a business would operate without full insurance in this day and age. Thanks for opening my eyes.

It is really not much different than when you park your car in a Parking Garage or on a lot.
If it is stolen or vandalized, they are not going to give you much more than sympathy.

It does not necessarily create a Bailment.