Johnson Shipmaster Contols. Can I make it fit my 30hp Yamaha?

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi everyone. I'm thinking about repair my steering controls (actually helping my father) whick broke on us last year. His original steering wheel and cables were not in great shape to start with. I found some used parts in good shape to purchase. They are Johnson Shipmaster Contols with the steering wheel and all mounting bolts included. Can I make this fit his 30hp 1997 Yamaha Enduro (i think that's the year)? The boat is 14.5' and the cables are 12' cables. The guys is selling, Steering Wheel with cable feed assembly, Steering Cable (Teleflex), Johnson Shipmaster Contols
Thanks, Chris

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Johnson Shipmaster Contols. Can I make it fit my 30hp Yamaha?

Ayuh,... Why not just order a new cable 'n helm Kit, 'n reuse yer old steerin' wheel, if it's keyed on a tapered shaft....

The "Kits" are darn near the same price as Just the cable...

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That may be an option, thanks. Are the cables standard? And back to the original question, can I make the Johnson controls fit my Yamaha? Thx

Ayuh,... Why not just order a new cable 'n helm Kit, 'n reuse yer old steerin' wheel, if it's keyed on a tapered shaft....

The "Kits" are darn near the same price as Just the cable...

Bondo

Staff member

That may be an option, thanks. Are the cables standard? And back to the original question, can I make the Johnson controls fit my Yamaha? Thx

Nope,... cables are not necessarily standard,...Motor end, ya usually, helm end, probably not...

'n you haven't said how the Johnson was hooked up, muchless how the Yamaha hooks up...

It may well take different hardware, even though the cable will work with either...