Can't decide : 2013 Bayliner 180 or 2013 Glastron GT180 ?

kelly554

Recruit
Hi,

I am looking at purchasing an 18 foot bowrider and I can't decide between the 2013 Bayliner 180 or 2013 Glastron GT180.

Bayliner 180 : http://www.bayliner.com/page.aspx/pageid/132731/pmid/312392/180-Bowrider.aspx#overview

Glastron GT180 : http://www.glastron.com/content/models/details/GT180

Which boat has the best build quality (seats, dials etc), resale value, fuel economy and ride quality in coastal waters?

I am looking at getting 90hp yamaha ob option on the Glastron if I go with that option or the 4 stroke 90hp on the Bayliner.

The bayliner 180 is quoted at : $19,989 without trailer

The glastron gt180 is quoted at : $20,295 without trailer

Would the ride quality between the glastrons 20 degree deadrise and the bayliners 17 degree be very noticeable in coastal waters?

My family currently owns a bowrider with a yamaha 75hp ob - so I was slightly leaning towards the Glastron/Yamaha option as I could interchange parts between the 75hp and 90hp.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Can't decide : 2013 Bayliner 180 or 2013 Glastron GT180 ?

Welcome to iBoats . . .

those boats are pretty close in terms of overall build, etc . . but I would tend to favor the Glastron, mostly due to the 20 degree deadrise.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Glastron is a touch better build quality and ride than the B-liner IMO. The 150HP would be preferred engine on the Glastron if it was still within budget.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would strongly encourage you to up the HP from 90.

agallant80

Commander

Check out Stingray Boats - Powerboat Manufacturer they have a 19 foot package your choice of I/O or just outboard with trailer for $19,995 + tax and registration fees from your local dealer. I really did like my stingray and the build quality was great, very fast boat. I replaced it with a Bayliner, while not apples to apples (stingray was a bow rider bayliner is a cabin cruiser) the Stingray was simpler but the matierals were very nice, the bayliner has way more creature comforts but the matierals are, well cheaper. I would really look at the stingray before I decided what to get. There are tonnes of them out there. Also the Yamaha SX190 comes with a trailer. MSRP is $24,000 but I am sure it will be less, no one pays MSRP. You have options. I would explore them.

Where are you located?

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Stingray owners generally seem to like them , but some did not. A quote from a recent Stingray owner follows.

Well... material wise the stingray was great. Build quality is hit or miss, their QC is horrible. Sharp fiberglass rubbing wires, things screwed in crooked, gaps that don't line up, drains glassed over in storage, ultra crap wiring not cleaned up and instead of cutting a long wire they coil it up and zip tie. My starboard speaker had 10ft of wire pushed away. Oh and it was 22g alumium crap. etc. That was all fixable. The worst part? The ride. Anything more than 2 people and they porpoise uncontrollable. A 1 in wind chop will beat your teeth out. If your buddy gets one do not use it until you install smart tabs. They cure 90% of the ride issues. Call them for size requirements. My 195cs took 60lb. Oh, need a factory part from stingray? That's a 2 month wait if they don't forget.

All around just a badly made boat. Things rattling, etc. Like the side trim pieces that hold the speakers they shake violently under power. I finally had enough and the market was hot for it. Sold for 21k overseas. I will never reccomend one.

agallant80

Commander

I wonder what vintage his was. Mine was a 2011 and I had no issues what so ever with it. If I had to complain about something the MB Quart radio that came with it was not that nice but they have sense changed over to someone else. Yes the boat will slam you around in chop but I don't really know any boat that size that will do chop gracefully. Always got be back to the dock. The day I fell in love with the boat was when I got stuck out in the lake with 3-5 foot waves pooring so hard I had to follow the course line back on the GPS because I could not see anyting. Got me back home with no issues.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I believe his StingRay was a 2009 model.

The GW 192 Freedom will get you through chop VERY gracefully. :nod:
But it's larger, different class boat, and MUCH more expensive than the B-liner or the Glastron.

Sorry for the drift. Back to your regularly scheduled thread....

Attachments

• f_450973011-2917802835.jpg
    f_450973011-2917802835.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0

agallant80

Commander

Maybe I got lucky. I had a friend at work who said his friends stingray had a transom leak that they could not figure out so they replaced the boat. Any ways what I am trying to say is that there are some good values out there. Allot of boat companies are switching to trailer/boat packages. Depending on where you are located I would highly reccoment Chatlee marine in Sanford, NC. Their prices are very low. They have people come from all over to buy boats. I think they are one of the largest on the east coast. Traveling for a good deal on a boat is worth it. you will have it for a long time. I went all the way up to Baltimore to get my new boat when I traded the stingray in.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I might be a lil biased but I would choose the Glastron in a heartbeat, with the biggest motor you can get.

The SSV hull (Super Stable Vee) was designed decades ago by Glastron engineer Mel Whitley. As a testament to how good it is, it remains basically unchanged to this day. SSV's ride well, handle well, and are comparatively fast. Plus I think it would hold it's value a lot more than a Bayliner.

Not that I have anything against Bayliners personally, never owned one. But let's face facts: They have been guilty of building some pretty crappy boats in the past. And that's a hard thing to live down, 'specially 'round here. Cuz boaters don't forget.

Regardless. Hey did anybody notice the Glastron will carry 8 US occupants but only 7 Metric one's? Are metric people bigger??