Tohatsu Nissan Trim Tilt Motor Replace, 2 wire to 3 wire

mtpmarine

Recruit
Hello all, this is my first post; any help mucho appreciated. I have a 1995 90 Hp Tohatsu and the Trim/Tilt motor needs replace, it's rusted through. I can't seem to find one anywhere like the one I removed. The issue I'm having is that the new style motors (like the ones all over the place on Ebay) comes with 2 wires and mine is (I guess) old style, comes with 3. Does anyone know where I can find an old strle 3 wire or is there any way I can convert the new 2 wire trim tilt motors to work with the old 3 wire system? Perhaps there is a wiring harness conversion? Thanks in advance.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu Nissan Trim Tilt Motor Replace, 2 wire to 3 wire

Use the modern gauge.

mtpmarine

Recruit

I'm sorry, the modern gauge?

pvanv

Admiral

Sorry, I was thinking you were referring to the TT gauge. My mistake. There are only 2 wires for TT motor operation on the modern motors. The difference is at the solenoids. You reverse the polarity going to the TT motor to reverse direction. Do you have the Factory service manual?

mtpmarine

Recruit

Thanks Paul. the "Old Style" was a 3-wire TT motor and the modern ones are 2-wire from what I have learned from my research. Finding an old style is near impossible, lest you buy the whole TT assembly on Ebay for $500. Barring that option, does do you think I may be able to convert the older 3-wire to the modern 2-wire using the following?(links attached) My only concern is the stainless protruding insert on the bottom of the modern 2-wire TT (round), looks different than the one on the bottom of the old style (flat, pictures attached too). Thanks so much for walking me through this Paul.
Modern 2-wire motor: DB Electrical - NEW TRIM MOTOR SUZUKI TOHATSU 38100-87D10-OED 18-6786
Wiring Harness Conversion: DB Electrical - WIRING HARNESS CONVERTS 3 WIRE TILT AND TRIM MOTOR TO 2 WIRE
Pic of old style base and pic of old style receiver attached:View attachment 185865 View attachment 185866

pvanv

Admiral

As a dealer, I never recommend using aftermarket parts, unless there isn't any alternative... Chevy parts on a Chevy, Tohatsu parts on a Tohatsu, etc. The OEM TT motors are a lot better, and last longer. That said, a new Tohatsu TT motor runs over $500 MSRP, and is the modern 2-wire type. From the pictures, I can't say that the aftermarket motor will even fit your engine. If you want to pursue that aftermarket stuff, call that vendor to see what their recommendation might be. The DC motors are reversed by reversing polarity. Your solenoids would need to be set up correctly to do that. If you work with the actual Tohatsu OEM parts, a dealer (or even Tohatsu America) can help you with the installation.