gel coat pulled off best way to touch up

5string

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had a bracket that was bolted to the deck and glued with 5200, I got the bracket off with knife, heat gun and wedges but had a couple small spots that it pulled off the white gel coat. I need to fill the 4 small screw holes and fix the areas where the white pulled off with the bracket. It is a textured non skid fiberglass deck on a Blue Wave and I have a photo of some of the area I'm cleaning off old glue and in the top you can see some of the blue under the white gel coat that needs fixed. It is about the size of a business card that needs white gel coat and I've never done any gel coat before but being on this non skid deck I can't see paying someone for an area that is not smooth or that will show much if it is a little off. Any advice on what to buy and fill the holes.

5string

Attachments

• IMAG0182.jpg
    IMAG0182.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: gel coat pulled off best way to touch up

Ayuh,.... That Looks more like paint than gelcoat...

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,.... That Looks more like paint than gelcoat...

... over stucco.

Can we get a shot from just a little further away? That looks like a mighty rough area.

5string

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will get a better pic after work, it is a white, with blue swirls on the floor of the boat, it is rough texture non slip, the whole deck or floor of this Boat is this way, I just figured it was gel coat, it isn't shiny but very durable. It is a Blue Wave 180 Classic and in the pic there is still some 5200 that I have to get off.

Thanks, 5string

... over stucco.

Can we get a shot from just a little further away? That looks like a mighty rough area.

5string

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a better pic of the area I want to fix, I just want to know best way to fill holes and touch up with white gel coat or epoxy where the outer layer pulled off.

Thanks 5string

Attachments

• IMAG0185.jpg
    IMAG0185.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0

5string

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is another pic adjacent to the area to show what the deck looks like.

Thanks 5string

Attachments

• IMAG0187.jpg
    IMAG0187.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 0

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That looks like texture paint, like Kiwi-Grip or another rubberized coating. The Arkansas Traveler my son rebuilt has that kind paint on the whole interior.

A pic from Kiwi-Grip's website:
lowlight1.JPG

5string

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well it's hard as fiberglass, like they spread it on then laid something flat on it then pulled it up when it was still wet to make the texture.

5string

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have a Blue Wave, which model is this?

It looks like this is the interior where they just sprayed gel coat on the glassed surface, not the mold finish portion. If so you can buy some gel coat the same color, or tint it yourself, and then just apply it with a brush, don't lay it down with long brush strokes, just dab at it with the end of the brush. Matching the color exactly will be the tough part, you can get gel coat repair kits at many marine stores, auto parts store and even some Walmarts.

5string

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's a 2002 Blue Wave 180 Classic.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have the same model, only a couple of years older.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

We call it a Martha Stewart pattern ..

Best match the gel .. then mix it with a little cabosil and then apply with a brush.

The Spatter gel cant be totally replicated .. you have to do your best on the matching on the surface gel.

Good luck mate.

YD.