Wire to starter motor

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class
This may sound like a silly question but do you run a heavy live wire straight to the starter motor or should it go through the master switch, I have every thing else running off the switch but just wasn't sure if the main power to the starter should have a cutoff.
Thanks
20130220_152545_zpsbccd93ab.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wire to starter motor

Yes, you go through the switch with the starter cable. That switch in your picture can handle the amps.

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats great thanks, It's just that the boat I got the +cable from had it connected from the battery straight to the starter with no switch so I wasn't sure but I did think it was a bit of a fire risk not benign able to turn it off.
Thanks again.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It can be done either way. With it on the switch, you can just shut off power to the motor as well as the rest of the boat.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Thats great thanks, It's just that the boat I got the +cable from had it connected from the battery straight to the starter with no switch so I wasn't sure but I did think it was a bit of a fire risk not benign able to turn it off.
Thanks again.

The switch is a convenience, so by all means use it.
But... MANY things with engines (including boats) have the B+ cable directly to the starter.
Not much of a fire hazard on a boat as long as the cable is in good shape, and the starter is marine. ;)