OLD Johnson trim issue

Jayisdaname

Cadet
I have a 1971 Johnson 100 HP V4 hangin on the back of the ole pontoon, well when i bought it i never got the pump for the trim only no tilt well since i cant find one heres my question can i simply use a mercruiser in out tilt and trim pump and modify the hoses to fit and just use this??

JTKelleyiii

Seaman Apprentice
Re: OLD Johnson trim issue

You sure can. I have a 1975 135hp Johnson with that exact setup. Works great.

RRitt

Captain

if you do not already have the pump and are planning on buying one then there might be better options. A pic would tell.

Jayisdaname

Cadet

Sorry i havnt been on for a while will be happy to post a picture if someone tells me how lol? Anyways to the guy with the same setup what did you do with the wires from the switch to the limiter that we obviously cannot use?? Do they HAVE to be hooked up or no?? Thanks to all for the help really hate lifting this heavy motor by hand!!

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

if you do not already have the pump and are planning on buying one then there might be better options. A pic would tell.
change pipes over

Attachments

• Photo0814.jpg
    Photo0814.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo0813.jpg
    Photo0813.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 0

JTKelleyiii

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry i havnt been on for a while will be happy to post a picture if someone tells me how lol? Anyways to the guy with the same setup what did you do with the wires from the switch to the limiter that we obviously cannot use?? Do they HAVE to be hooked up or no?? Thanks to all for the help really hate lifting this heavy motor by hand!!

No need to hook up the limiter. Just have the three wires from the control box tilt and trim switch hooked up to the mercruiser trim pump and the + and - from the trim pump to the battery.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You may want to reconsider what you are trying to do. The single pistons tilt system on your 1971 engine was the only type avail that year. Tilt only. Yes, you probably can get an alternate motor/pump to operate the tilt. Once you are done, it will still be a tilt (only) system. That tilt system is designed to tilt the engine up at the end of the boating day to keep it out of the water. If that is your goal, continue pursuing a different hydraulic pump for your system. Not sure if you want to invest in updating that system just to tilt the engine up each day after boating. The pictured unit above is the later tilt/trim system that OMC tilt/trim system came out in 1973. It is made to function when the engine is in neutral at the dock, or when the boat is under power. That swivel bracket is drilled to accomodate the lift bracket and uses a dual lift piston system. That system's not adaptable to your 1971 engine. Your swivel bracket is missing the machined holes for the lift bracket, plus all the other items on that later tilt/trim system. You can look at the factory exploded parts diagrams for your "tilt" system at this website: epc.brp.com You will need to get into the tab called OB Accessories for model year 1972, then to the electrical tab, then down to the power tilt kit. It's no doubt the same for the 1971 models.

RRitt

Captain

you have a trim - tilt system with calco pump. the calco pump was a solution looking for a problem. As trim pumps go, it is a red-headed stepchild. replace with a prestolite pump off an OMC stringer. you can find the complete pump on ebay or craigslist for under $100. It is a bolt on replacement. It even bolts to the exact same spot on engine using the exact same wires, hoses, and mounting bolts.

www.ebay.com/itm/261188565702
www.ebay.com/itm/230950257804

However, I would worry about the trim cylinder not shown in your pictures. About halfway down your trim cylinder is an electric sensor. It has a track record of leaking and rusting out your cylinder from the inside. while you have the system apart it would be a good time to rebuild your rams with new seals.

www.ebay.com/itm/221204591574

Jayisdaname

Cadet

Thats all i need is to be able to tilt the motor because its a pontoon no real need for tilt not gonne get any extra speed anyway lol. JTKelly thank you im gonna try the merc pump system and beef up my seals and reseal everything and try to come up with some kind of switch to stop it once it gets high enough, the only REAL reason i want this is because we beach the toon alot and hate dragging prop on sandy bottom . Thank you all for all your help!!!

RRitt

Captain

Thats all i need is to be able to tilt the motor because its a pontoon no real need for tilt not gonne get any extra speed anyway lol. JTKelly thank you im gonna try the merc pump system and beef up my seals and reseal everything and try to come up with some kind of switch to stop it once it gets high enough, the only REAL reason i want this is because we beach the toon alot and hate dragging prop on sandy bottom . Thank you all for all your help!!!

not worth it. you will spend more on tubes, fittings, adapters, and plumbing than the cost of a working stringer pump off ebay.

Jayisdaname

Cadet

okay I see that pump on eBay my question is do I need anything or any switches to make it work the stringer i mean?

Jayisdaname

Cadet

okay I see that but I don't have anything left over at all for the trim system. I don't have any switches or anything what do I hook the 2 wires from the motor to ?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Did you check out the factory parts list on the website above? It includes a 3 position switch and a special solenoid. Probably any other parts you need.

Jayisdaname

Cadet

I did not see that part i did check out the pump which is available as aftermarket but i would also need the pump head im guessing its called the part the actual hoses hook to because i dont have it as well and that i cannot find at all thats why i figured any hydralic reversible pump should work as long as its strong enough and nothin stronger than inboard outboard pumps i think . Now if anyone knows what i could use as far as the complete setup pls tell me cuz im still kinda lost just workin my way towarda found lol. Thanks to everyone for helping again i really appreciate it....