1976 MFG carefree

jgbarry

Cadet
Ive been looking for a fun project for some time now. Came across a 1976 MFG Carefree that I really like, but i dont know a whole lot. When I go to look at it what should I be looking for? From what ive read they are good boats. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the ad on craiglist
14 ft 1976 MFG Open boat

it is a donated boat so no on water test

Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 MFG carefree

What are looking for in a boat? I've found, from personal experience, that a closed bow runabout kinda loses it's appeal quickly. Boat like that one are a dime a dozen so the only real value is in the motor and trailer. The trailer looks nice but I can't figure out what the motor situation is. My thoughts is the price is too high. That boat, in demonstratably running condition with about a 30-50HP motor is only worth around $1k so $850 is way high for that one.

jgbarry

Cadet

Ah damn, I was hoping it was an awesome find. Looks like a fun boat

Thanks again

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 14' runabout similar to that one. Just my opinion but I think they are fun little boats. It is not a terrific find as old boats go but has two nice features. 1. windshields that age are usually very cloudy and hard to see through, that one looks good. 2. if that's a windshield wiper I see that's not common in a small boat. The ad says the motor is 4.5, I suppose they mean 45HP which if it is a good running motor will make that boat fly. My boat with a 25HP goes 25 mph. Whether it's a good deal depends on if the motor is in good running condition and if floor and transom are rot free. I'd love to take a buffer to that old red topside, I'm sure it would shine.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have a very similar boat that I paid $250 for but I've put $1,500 in her to make her like new. If you aren't going to have more than 4 people at a time and they aren't "Big Ole' Boys" then she'd be a fun first boat. I too, think that $850 is a bit High. I'd offer $400 and maybe go to $500 and see what happens.

OCboat

Seaman

I have a very similar boat that was in good condition with no rot and a 40hp motor when I bought it several years ago. I paid more than the boat you are looking at and I haven't regretted it at all. All I have done is painted it but I have since learned that I could have just restored the gelcoat. They are fun little boats that get a lot of attention if they are in good shape. I always have someone who says that they grew up around boats like these and would love to own one in good shape.

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think ezmobee is right here. I started with a very similar boat to that one. I got it last year for $450 online and had to put in a new floor and she was good to go. Although i still have that boat and love it.. It only took about 5 minutes on the water to realized I wanted either a bigger boat or something similar in size that is a bowrider. I ended up getting a tri hull to work on this year and even though its only about a foot and a half bigger, the open bow makes it more comfortable for me and my girlfriend to fish from.. or least in my mind it does because we havent hit the water yet lol

If you're just planning on taking a person or 2 out on the water for a nice cruise than those little boats are great. If you like to fish and do things like that a bigger boat always helps in my opinion. Either way that boat there is pretty cool looking. would love to see it get some attention and be fixed up.

go have a look at it and see what type of condition the floor and transom are in and if they are nice and solid i would make him an offer of around $500 for it. If you can get him to fire the motor up and check the compression and things like that and it all checks out it might be worth the $850 he is asking. It all boils down to that motor basically.

anyways, be sure to let us know what you end up doing. If you end up getting it you should post some more pics so we can check it out some more :) lol

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also, just to give you an idea on what these things are worth I have my 14 footer ( the one in my profile pic ) for sale right now, and even with a new floor and new carpet and good running 1962 40 horse johnson I only hope to get $1000 for it. I know that the market for boats is probably different depending on where you live but it should give you an idea that a boat that is that old has to be in pretty decent shape to fetch $850. You are always welcome to drive up to canada and buy mine :) lol

jgbarry

Cadet

From the sounds of it this would be a great second boat, treat it almost as if it were a waverunner (but less annoying hahaha). I wish I could pull the trigger, but im nervous if I ever got sick of it I wouldnt be able to get the money out of it.

Thanks again guy, this was my first post and all your responses have made me love this forum