Mercruiser 888 Won't Run, Any ideas?

jjohanson

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, Been having some trouble getting my mercruiser 888 running so I thought I would post here for help. Recently replaced the intake manifold since I found a crack. Also, recently replaced was the spark plugs, cap, rotor, fuel pump, and carburetor(brand new). Checked compression, spark and fuel pressure and all three were good. When I did the intake manifold I had to remove the distributor so when I put it back in I put my compression tester on the #1 cylinder(facing pulley side of engine first left correct?) brought it to 6 degrees BTDC and placed the distributor back in and facing the #1 plug wire. A couple times I have gotten it to fire up but for only a few seconds. Anyone see something I'm doing wrong or have any ideas?

Also, I was thinking of replacing the distributor to something more up to date without points/condensor like this:
Distributor Ford V8 302 Electronic LH

but it says it require this coil:
Coil | Ignition | Mallory

Which my engine is not listed on the application chart. Would these work? I know nothing about converting this and the difference between coils with internal/external resistors. Maybe someone can help me with this also :) points suck

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercruiser 888 Won't Run, Any ideas?

Just to give you something to check out until one of the guys that really might know what to suggest comes along:

Check out this thread from today and Don's reply in item #3 of this post where he mentions about timing and in there is another link on how to properly make sure you are at tdc on #1:
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...start-just-backfires-through-carb-595121.html

Mark

jjohanson

Seaman Apprentice

Just to give you something to check out until one of the guys that really might know what to suggest comes along:

Check out this thread from today and Don's reply in item #3 of this post where he mentions about timing and in there is another link on how to properly make sure you are at tdc on #1:
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...start-just-backfires-through-carb-595121.html

Mark

Thanks for the replay, the way i set the timing was i connected my pressure gauge to first left cylinder(looking from the pully side of engine, think this is correct Left 1234 right 5678) turned crank until pressure gauge started gaining pressure, turned till 6 degrees BTDC and then dropped the distributor in on the #1 plug. Also, one of the times I got the engine to run for a second, it shot up through the carburetor. When I first got the carb, i twisted the mixing screws all the way in and then did two full 360 turns out until I could get it running and adjust. Was this correct?

haulnazz15

Captain

Initial timing should be 10BTDC, not 6. Make sure your plug wires are in the correct order (I don't remember if the 888 uses the 351w firing order (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8) or not). The mixture screws are usually set at 1.5-2 turns out, so you might start with the 1.5 turns.

If you want to replace the dizzy, I'd recommend the Pertronix Billet marine distributor. It has the Ignitor II, so it will shut down if you accidentally leave the key "on" so it won't burn out the module. It still uses mechanical advance like a regular distributor, but the points/condensor are gone. It's not too expensive, either. I bought one for my 351w, as well as the Flame Thrower epoxy-filled coil to match.

jjohanson

Seaman Apprentice

Ooops, that could be the problem lol. I will switch it from 6 to 10BTDC on my next day off and even tho i labeled all the plugs, ill double check the order and let you know what happens. Thanks for the help so far

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really don't think 4 degrees are going to make that much of a difference. If your timing is the reason it won't run it's probably farther than 4 degrees off. I'd double check to make sure you're really at TDC on cylinder one.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can't set timing if the engine doesn't run. You may have to move the distributor around to get it started, then you can set the idle timing.

jjohanson

Seaman Apprentice

well can you confirm that inside the boat facing the stern that the first left cyclinder is #1? I put the compression tester on that cylinder and turned until it began showing compression, turned to 6 degrees BTDC on the crank and dropped the distributor in firing on that cylinder. As far as I know from searching that was the correct way. My next day off I will be switching it to 10 degrees BTDC and then double checking the fire order and will let everyone know how it goes.

jjohanson

Seaman Apprentice

Also, I picked up a replacement condensor today since its been awhile.

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, cylinder one on the Ford 302 is on the starboard side. Move the distributor back and forth until it runs. It just takes trial and error. It sounds like it's within 30 degrees or so.

I just replaced my points with the Ignitor II from Pertronix. No reason to replace the entire distributor. It was a very simple upgrade. It cost $140 from eBay for the Ignitor II and the Flame Thrower 2 coil.

jjohanson

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, cylinder one on the Ford 302 is on the starboard side. Move the distributor back and forth until it runs. It just takes trial and error. It sounds like it's within 30 degrees or so.

I just replaced my points with the Ignitor II from Pertronix. No reason to replace the entire distributor. It was a very simple upgrade. It cost $140 from E-bay for the Ignitor II and the Flame Thrower 2 coil.

Ok found it here:
Pertronix Ignitor Coil Mercruiser Marine 233 888 w Prestolite Distributor Clips | eBay

I will order it asap, Thanks

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's the ignitor I and the Flame Thrower I.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390489539892?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330819965000?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Is what you want.

The Igniter II has features I think make it worth the extra cost. I detest points, so I recommend the upgrade. The coil is optional. You can use your old one or the Flame Thrower II. The benefit of using the Flame Thrower II is you can open up your spark plugs a bit more. I set my gap to 0.042 instead of 0.035

It's cheaper to order them apart.

haulnazz15

Captain

Remember that the wires go counterclockwise around the distributor.

jjohanson

Seaman Apprentice

Cecho, i have the prestolite distributor not mallory, would that conversion still work? If so, ill order them tonight.

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, you will need a different Ignitor II. I'm looking for the correct p/n right now. The Coil is the same though.

haulnazz15

Captain

I just replaced my points with the Ignitor II from Pertronix. No reason to replace the entire distributor. It was a very simple upgrade. It cost $140 from eBay for the Ignitor II and the Flame Thrower 2 coil.

The reason I replaced my entire distributor was because I had a new engine with all new components and didn't want to go back with a 1970's original part, wasn't saying that it was necessary in his case. Just a suggested part if he decides to replace the whole thing, I think it was around $200.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just going to point out one thing, changing to an electronic ignition is not going to make your engine start. If you have spark now (as you said you did in your original post), then going to pertronix isn't going to cure the no start problem. You just can't throw a new part at it and think it will magically start. You have something wrong, find out what it is, then once you get it running you can change things.

Since you have good compression, and you are getting gas, and you have spark, obviously the spark is at the wrong time.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

This might be the right one:
PERTRONIX 91582 Ignitor II MARINE Prestolite $90.95 BUY ONLINE

Check to see if the rotor is the same.

That's not a rotor (the black round job) in the picture. It's the pickup the fits UNDER the rotor that triggers the electronics inside the Ignitor module.

Regardless, as Don said changing the method a WORKING distributor fires the coil doesn't solve the problem.