14' aluminum boat seats- what to do

Kidsdad

Recruit
I have a aluminum v-hull that I just pulled the rotting front deck off of- along with the 2 back aluminum bench seats. Here is my dilemma. I would like to replace with aluminum bench seats that have a bit of storage and be able to put flotation foam in. I have searched everywhere for aluminum replacement bench seats and can not find them anywhere. I am not sure if my only alternative is to build seats from plywood?

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 14' aluminum boat seats- what to do

HI Dad. Welcome to iboats. Congrats on the new toy. While you may be able to track down a replacement bench, most folks end up replacing their benches/seats with new plywood. Just be sure you use exterior grade, NON-pressure treated wood, then seal it using either 2-part epoxy, fiberglass mat & resin, or Spar Urethane. You can attach it to the hull with either aluminum rivets and/or stainless steel hardware. Some pics of your current set up may help too. Thankfully, you can get virtually everything you need to rebuild/redesign your boat from your local Lowes/HD.

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've come across some old aluminum boats at the scrapyard. Paid less than $150 for an old Alumacraft F7 with a hole in the bottom. My plan is to repair it and use it, but it could also be a source for seats and oarlocks if I were going that way. Just a thought. Keep in mind when you replace/rebuild that the seat may be part of the structural integrity of the boat. Good luck.

Kidsdad

Recruit

I appreciate the advice given so far. I have read extensively different plans for building bench seats with wood. I have successfully done this- have everything in place- but now would like to cut doors with hinges to access underneath the seats. I have seen pictures on this forum of others that have done this- but have not found them again. I will post pictures of my progress- but have hit this last point and want to finish.

The other question is the best way to seal the wood against the elements.

Also- what type of foam for flotation- and where can I find it?

Thanks,

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again Kid. There are several ways you can seal the wood in your boat. The "best" is probably to use spreadable, 2-part epoxy. Once cured you'll then need to apply paint/cover to give the epoxy UV protection. It works great, but it can be a little pricey and you'll have t track down the epoxy itself from West Marine, US Composites, or similar source. You can also use fiberglass mat and wax-free resin (not the stuff you get at the auto/home improvement store). It works great, but kind of messy if you've never used f'glass before. A great third option is to use several coats of Spar Urethane. The nice part about spar is that you can get it at any home improvement store and you can leave it clear to show any wood grain. You can also simply paint the wood with several coats of old school, Rutoleum, Professional, oil based enamel. It won't exactly waterproof the wood, but you will still get many, many years of use out of it.

BTW, NEVER use pressure treated wood in and aluminum boat ;) Instead, get the best non-PT, exterior grade plywood you can.

As far as the foam goes, while there are several options, the simplest, cheapest, best is to use the pink/blue closed-cell insulation foam board from lowes/HD. You can simply cut it to shape and use it fill and cavities in the boat. The more the better. While the foam won;t keep the boat from getting swamped in big water, if should keep it above the waterline so you can bail it out, if need be.

Kidsdad

Recruit

That is great advice- I appreciate all of the input. Any pictures that you know of that show wooden benches with top doors cut into for access to space under the seats. I am stuck at this point. I will be putting foam into as many areas as possible, but want to have some storage for a battery.

Thanks,

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't have any picture but if I were doing it the part you sit on would be a simple slab and I would use a continuous piano type hinge attached to the bottom of the slab and the top edge of the bow side of the seat. Bow side because the wind blows it closed, not open when towing. Some inexpensive magnetic catches for a little extra "stay closed" factor.

fishrdan

Admiral

I've come across some old aluminum boats at the scrapyard. Paid less than $150 for an old Alumacraft F7 with a hole in the bottom.

Did you get a title with the boat, or do you need to title/register the boat in your state? I wouldn't do anything to the boat until that's cleared up.

Out here, it wouldn't need a title and registration if it was oar/paddle powered, title and registration is required if a gas or electric motor is attached.

Kidsdad

Recruit

Did not need title to register in my state. Already registered under my name.