Worth checking out/restoring? Old plastic 16' rescue boat

Wolf86

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

The boat in question has just appeared on a local craigslist-portal and is 4.80 meters long (about 15' 9") and 1.80 meters wide (5' 11") and the material is plastic (not sure which type). The owner says it needs repainting and it was a rescue boat on a transport ship, however it was used for ship repairs.

I like the keel - looks like it would be quite stable.

I'm concerned about old plastic - any guesses at the material?

Would it be feasible to buy it, repaint it, and use it for slow & peaceful motoring at sea up to 5 miles from shore? With something like a 15 hp outboard, my guess?

-Wolf

4668160_2.jpg4668161_2.jpg4668162_2.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Worth checking out/restoring? Old plastic 16' rescue boat

Make sure the plastic isn't brittle (look for cracking) and if it's a foam core, that it isn't waterlogged. My dad had a small plastic over foam sailboat and that thing just kept getting heavier and heavier and heavier.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know anything about rescue boats, but with that keel it looks like it would need a VERY long shaft! :).

Wolf86

Seaman Apprentice

Ow. I still haven't received any pics of the top. I don't really want to mess with inboard engines, actually.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it's not an inboard; it's designed for a tiller, no motor, probably a sail. You could hang an outboard on it but might need a long shaft. remove the handrails.

By plastic I assume you mean fiberglas?

it would be unique but in many ways a square peg in a round hole. You won't know if it will do for ordinary boating until you spend some time and money on it, unless you have an outboard you can test it with.

southkogs

Staff member

it's not an inboard; it's designed for a tiller, no motor, probably a sail. You could hang an outboard on it but might need a long shaft. remove the handrails.

By plastic I assume you mean fiberglas?
Actually, not really a rescue boat - rather, a life boat I should think (handles on the bottom were common in case they capsized). And I'll bet she's rigged to be rowed or towed, though maybe sailed. Might actually be plastic - I had an old plastic rowboat with an outboard on it for fishing years ago. It's a little softer hull than fiberglass, but wouldn't dent like aluminum. Used it on a couple lakes here in TN where you were guaranteed to bang off the rocks once per trip ... because plastic is better for that? Nope - 'cuz it was cheaper.

OP - I wouldn't look at it as much more than a novelty boat to own. That's a fine reason to own a boat, but the practical factor is gonna' be low on that boat.

Wolf86

Seaman Apprentice

Actually, not really a rescue boat - rather, a life boat I should think (handles on the bottom were common in case they capsized). And I'll bet she's rigged to be rowed or towed, though maybe sailed. Might actually be plastic - I had an old plastic rowboat with an outboard on it for fishing years ago. It's a little softer hull than fiberglass, but wouldn't dent like aluminum. Used it on a couple lakes here in TN where you were guaranteed to bang off the rocks once per trip ... because plastic is better for that? Nope - 'cuz it was cheaper.

OP - I wouldn't look at it as much more than a novelty boat to own. That's a fine reason to own a boat, but the practical factor is gonna' be low on that boat.
Hmm, ok. I'll keep that in mind!

I've got some more info. It's manufactured in 1970 by Plast Vindafjord (Norway). It's actually fiberglass indeed. It has 10 seats which are themselves separate watertight sections. It has a mast attachment, like you mentioned. No photo from the top though.

So a 43 year old fiberglass lifeboat that needs work.

How much would one pay for it? $200-something?

(And yes - a lifeboat, of course, not a rescue boat. D'oh! My bad.)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

how much to pay? $200 for a novelty boat with a sound hull is fine; nothing if it won't suit your needs after being fixed up. For example, I like cool old boats, but since I'm in shallow water constantly, I wouldn't have it.

It also looks like a real challenge for trailering (that is, rigging the trailer and use at the ramp) due to the keel.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Agreed! Handles on the bottom indicate a lifeboat. As such, she would have been designed to be stable in nasty sea conditions. Transom is flat so you would be able to attach an outboard mount. If it is a true Fiberglass hull--known as plastic here in the states because it is really( fiberglass reinforced styrene plastic)---it will be easily repairable

SO: The real question is: What is her condition? Is it worth putting the money into it to restore her?

AND---What are the regulations as to registering, taxing re-selling etc. over there in Estonia? Is this going to be a money pit?

Wolf86

Seaman Apprentice

It's registered, so would pay just for the owner change, an equivalent of about $60.

On condition, I need to probably check it out myself since the only information I have are the pictures and a word it's OK - and I need a day and a ferry trip to check it out. But I'll have to see what they say about my offer first. Of course, since our boat market is tiny as compared to Finland (it is much better to find good deals there in that regard), I don't expect they want to get rid of it for cheap.

southkogs

Staff member

Just thought of something ... if you can get it for a couple hundred dollars (and I'm thinking in USD), fix it up and toss a small outboard on it; you'd have a easily trailered boat that would support 10 people on it. Wouldn't go fast, and it'd be a big tough to swim off of - but for little cruises to look at stuff, it might be a fun to be able to take 9 of your best friends :)

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

That's a very unique looking boat you found. Any idea on what it weighs? I also would wonder how you will haul that thing around, and then launch without the ten people it holds-LOL. The trailer seems to work well with it upside down, but what about when you want to use it?
We just watched Life of Pie, so life boats are fresh in my mind, they look like big bath tubs with covers on them. Let us know what you decide to do.