Back to Back seats for my '77 SS.

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been looking at back to back seats for my SS. I've noticed that the bases seem to be either 8'' or 10''. Any opinions as to which will work better for me is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Back to Back seats for my '77 SS.

Get as low as you can go. I forget what size pedestals I put in my SS but they are real short. 8" TOPS. I put 10" base seats in my Jupiter and they were definitely too high.

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get as low as you can go. I forget what size pedestals I put in my SS but they are real short. 8" TOPS. I put 10" base seats in my Jupiter and they were definitely too high.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. My current pedestal seats are way too high. I'm over the top of the windshield. I've only recently realized that they are only rated for 5mph. I'll still get some use from them as fishing seats that I can move around as needed, but I think a pair of lounge seats will be a good addition to my ride.

InMotion

Commander

Mine are 8" I believe. I like to sit up fairly high myself... so I would have preferred the 10" --- kinda the opposite of most. I just like the breeze I suppose... Canuk thing! :)

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got my seats from walmart.com they were like $50 less than anywhere i could find, but they have the 10" plastic base and they sat way too high so I ended up chopping 2" off the bottom of the base.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A cool configuration that I like (if you aren't OCD about symmetry like my wife) is a nice bucket seat on the starboard side and a lounger on the port. You could put a jump seat in the stern on starboard side as well.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I like the 8" seats too. 2" doesn't seem like much but I started with 10" and cut down my seat box. EZ's helm/lounger is an idea I've been kicking around too. Sometimes I want to lay out and with a closed bow and two helm type seats I have no room. I had rotted two loungers and replaced with two pedestal types on boxes for more cockpit room.

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I guess it's a good thing that I'm not OCD concerning symmetry or the fact that I have a console only on the helm side would have driven me over the edge by now. I'm working on that too. I've got the glass, just need to make the console. I like the helm/lounger configuration too. Bang for buck is driving my decision at this point. Iboats has some good sales on loungers now. With shipping, I think I could get a pair for $400. Add a cooler seat and cushions for the bow seating and I can seat as many as I want to and still have some moving around room in the boat. I did see a pedestal base that I could afford and I think I could attach one of my current seats to it, although I think it's too tall. I'll look around for a shorter base. I'm astounded that one could easily spend more on seats than I've got in the boat. Not me though. Thanks again guys. I'll keep you posted.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Look at greatlakesskipper.com for pedestals. That's where I got mine and they even swivel and slide.