1974 Invader Restoration

oarwardbound

Cadet
I have a '74 Invader that needs a little work done on it. I have pulled the seats and carpet but I am having a hard time finding replacement carpet for a boat this old. It is a dark brown color (pictures below) and it seems that there are very few suppliers that carry it anymore. Anyone know of a good place to get older marine carpet in a dark brown? I need it that dark brown color to match the seats. I suppose a decent quality astroturf of that color would work as well, but I can't seem to find any locally.

Also, the seat restoration is turning out to be a pain. I have tried all kinds of cleaners like Tilex and Mr Clean, but finally broke down and bought some Meguiar's #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner after seeing that others had success with it. I guess these seats are too faded to restore completely. Is it possible to bring out the deep brown color again? You can see where I cleaned some of the upholstery and it has a gray, faded look. I would be okay with buying new seats or using some type of vinyl paint if that is a better option.

I'd rather not have to put too much money into this boat if I can get away with it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMGP2626.JPG
    IMGP2626.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP2630.JPG
    IMGP2630.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP2631.JPG
    IMGP2631.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP2632.JPG
    IMGP2632.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP2633.JPG
    IMGP2633.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 Invader Restoration

Personally, I'd just embrace the difference and go with a complimentary color, like a tan, as opposed to trying to match the brown. Lighter colors are cooler in a boat anyway.

oarwardbound

Cadet

That's good advice and I had considered it but I worry that the combination might not look right together. I would think a darker carpet would look better against a lighter seat, not the other way around.

oarwardbound

Cadet

Personally, I'd just embrace the difference and go with a complimentary color, like a tan, as opposed to trying to match the brown. Lighter colors are cooler in a boat anyway.

Do you think I should just ditch the old seats and get a lighter replacement for those as well? I may have misunderstood your original reply.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A matter of personal taste obviously but I think brown/beige always looks fine.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The value of this boat, IMO should come second to comfort and personal taste and functionality. There are a handful of colors that would work, and as other have already mentioned, the darker the color, the hotter it will be. I would go as light a color as you can to keep it comfy. And my guess is the seats could be replaced as cheap as they could be redone. How do the stringers and transom look? This is an older boat yes?

oarwardbound

Cadet

Yes, it is a 1974 Invader. Structurally and mechanically it is in great condition. The only issue in those terms is a slightly bent section of the steering rod that makes it hard to turn to the left. I am working on that today.

The interior is the biggest question mark for me. Does anyone have a suggestion for ski boat seat retailers? I really have no idea how much they cost and I'm trying to keep costs low.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I put Wise lounge seats in my last boat that were BassPro branded and they were great and pretty cheap. I even Walmart has those same seats now. Check their Web site.