thunderbolt v

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2000 Merc engine, that has TB5 ignition, but no knock module. What does this ignition act like as far as timing advance? Does it still try to vary timing based on what it sees the engine doing or does it have a more defined advance curve. With no knock sensor I dont see how it can safely vary timing to fine 'mean best timing' without getting into detonation issues? The module number is 861459t02, is there somewhere that shows a timing curve for this module?

FYI: This was a 5.0, and from what I can tell from parts diagrams the 5.0 alpha did not have knock sensors. 5.0 Bravo and 5.7 Alpha/Bravo got the knock sensor. Not sure why?

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: thunderbolt v

I have come across that one before too. Its all so vague, I cant seem to find anything about base line timing curve without all the enhancements. It just seems odd that there are so many posible enhancements to the timing curve along the way, but no knock sensor in this case to protect itself. If the ICM is constantly searching for the best timing, at times it seems like it would keep advancing possibly into detonation with no safety.

Maybe that partly contributed to the original engines demise.....