115 2006 will not crank

stevesmerc

Cadet
after sitting for 6 months motor would not crank. switched battery and it cranked. got to water and started twice and nothing since. Have replaced battery and starter solenoid and nothing. can jump across solnoid the motor will crank. do not want to spend any more money process of elimination. Could this be the ignition switch or neutral saftey. Any way to isolate the problem? Appreciate any help.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 115 2006 will not crank

Either the Ign or Neu Safety switch will prevent cranking.

You can test the Yellow wire w/Red trace line on the Ign switch, it should read 12V when turned to Start/Crank position.

That wire then goes to the shift control box then on to the starter relay.

stevesmerc

Cadet

Thanks for the information. Is the neutral safety switch actually in the shift control box? Way boat is built have to remove gas tank to get seat out to remove shift control thanks

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Before you go to the trouoble of pulling all that, check that yellow/Red wire at the Ign switch, then again anywhere after the Control box, like at the starter relay. It should show 12 V only when the Ign is turned to start/crank.

Try 'wiggling' the Control arm while holding the Ign switch to crank.

stevesmerc

Cadet

Thanks for the information. I ran a wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid. The motor cranked over. Today I started pulling the shift control box. The neutral switch apparently was loose in the box and came out with little tugging. When I pushed the button on the safety and turned the key the motor tried to start. I attempted to get the shift control box out removing the control housing. As of yet have not got this done. The cam bolt that holds the shift plate is freezing or locking. I don't want to risk breaking the bolt off. My question is how does the shift lever come off. This seems to be the only way to remove the shifter mechanism to be able to replace the safety switch.
Appreciate any help or advice.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

If the control arm has a plastic button for Neutral it the pivot point that you push in and move the control arm for throttle in Neutral, there is a retaining bolt behind that button.

Like many plastic parts, the button has a couple of small 'latches' that hold it into place, many times these will break when you try to pull the button out. It is always a good idea to keep a spare button just so you'll have it.