'72 PowerCat , Rotting Transom

thedeeg918

Cadet
I have an old PowerCat and the transom is rotting. Now that the weather is warming and the days give more light , I am going to get around to repairing it. Last year I (with the excellent assistance from the members of this forum, thank you!)replaced the entire deck, as it was completely rotted out. Since then I have been concerned about my transom.
I have an old '64 60hp Johnson V4 on it. When I push down on it , I get some deflection. I have drilled holes and found that about the lower 50% is bad, but the top half is dry and seemingly solid. Previous owner had installed two pcs 1/8" flat bar across the back where the motor mounts on. On the top edge , on either side of the mount , there is cracking.
There is no question in my mind that something needs to be done.
I have used this boat through the last half of the season last year in this condition. I realized there might been risk in this but was tapped out from the floor. If that transom were to give out, would it most like crack or fracture? Or would my motor just fall into the lake? Not trying to ask stupid questions.. but I am really want to know.
As far as repairing it goes , I have been reading the other threads to give me some insight. I would still like some suggestions. Really not looking forward to popping off the top cap.
Lastly.. looking into the "How to's and Great info" thread , sub-topic "hard to find boat info" I did not see PowerCat in that list. Is it because the boat has been out of production for 4 decades, lol, or is just that hard to find?

Thank you.

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '72 PowerCat , Rotting Transom

Good luck with the transom job. Here is a link you should know about. Power Cat Boat

thedeeg918

Cadet

Thank you for that link jb93! =D That is some good stuff. I had spent some time looking for information on this boat, and this is the best site I've seen.
Hehe, and thanks for the "luck" , maybe I need it.

thedeeg918

Cadet

Something I had forgot to ask originally - Will I still need to install bracing for the hull before / after I remove the top cap? Given that the floor is new , and therefore will not have to be removed.
If so, how many and about where would I need these braces?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd love to see some pics of this thing.

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Something I had forgot to ask originally - Will I still need to install bracing for the hull before / after I remove the top cap? Given that the floor is new , and therefore will not have to be removed.
If so, how many and about where would I need these braces?

Some guys use elaborate bracing frames - moveable, etc. They are really nice, but if you have a good trailer that uses bunks then you will probably be fine. Just take measurements of the width of boat before you remove cap. I have also seen guys use ratchet straps around the hull to keep it from flexing outward. I used my trailer and added several braces. I used 2x4 cut to fit and topped with carpet and bolted to the side of the frame wedge up tight under the hull. My stringers, floor and transom are all out and I can walk around no problem. Here are a few pics of braces I added.

Trailer Support2.jpg

Trailer Supports1.jpg

Trailer Support3.jpg

thedeeg918

Cadet

I will take some pics of it ezmobee and post them. I'll include some of the before pics also. If make it home early enough I'll take them tomorrow .
Thank you jb93. That is a good method. My trailer has bunks on it , but probably a good idea to brace it a bit anyway. I will pull that cover off and get some pics of the transom, and the rest of the boat.
While I have this top cap off, might be a good time to replace the old foam inside of it as well.