Bought a pontoon with title but motor didnt have one...

cmart0820

Recruit
So... I comitted to buying a pontoon boat today for what I think is a fair price. Its a 2000 Landau 20 foot pontoon. The upolestry has been redone and the carpet changed. Not too bad. It has some signs of sun exposure but overall looks ok cosmetically with little TLC. Im concerend with the engine. Its a 1978 Evinrud 85 HP. No idea how many hours but stll runs. Guy im buying in from is a mechanic with a high end car company and services it himself. He bought it about 3 years ago from a guy and had it redone. He says he never realized he didnt have the title for the motor until he tried to sell it. He says he has never had problems with registrataion, but he basically has title for the boat, but not for the motor.

I think im getting it for a good deal, enough where if I have to rebuild or replace the motor I should be ok.

But this title issue has me concerned? Does anybody think im making a bad decision here?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Bought a pontoon with title but motor didnt have one...

Here in Wisconsin,I've never seen a title just for the motor. New one on me. Where are ya from and where did you hear about titiling the motor?
Oh yeah....Welcome to I-Boats!

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

How much of a pain in the neck a missing title will be depends on what state you live in. For example, where I live (NY), motors aren't titled at all.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Here in Wisconsin,I've never seen a title just for the motor. New one on me. Where are ya from and where did you hear about titiling the motor?
Oh yeah....Welcome to I-Boats!

some states have a requirement for motor titles on outboards. Cuts down on theft... But anyway, OP, there are services that will 'clean' a title for you for a boat. It is legal, at least according to the strict letter of the law. (they essentially register the boat in a non title state, and then transfer it back to original state.)

cmart0820

Recruit

This is how clueless I am...

Im in Texas and to be honest with you, I have no idea if there is even a title issued for the motor. I thought there was, based on the the sales posts on Craigslist, but it might not be.

Thanks for the welcome! Ill be a regular now with our new hobby!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Texas does title outboards. Was the pontoon registered in TX?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

looks pretty easy to title the motor tho I would double check at your local office