Bottom Painting..What to use?

Holy Shamolee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am about to bottom paint my boat. 1980 25' tollycraft. It has black bottom paint on it now> It has flaked off and worn off in some spots. If I rub my hands on it, I always get black powder on my hands.

This boat will be on a trailer when I am not using it. It will spend no more than 10 days in the water without being hauled out.
Do I really need antifouling paint? Is there something better that I can use on the bottom ?

There are a couple blisters that I will repair first, but over all the hull looks good. I can tell that it has been sanded under the paint.

The trailer I use is a bunk trailer and I guess I am wanting to know if there is a good paint that can take the abuse of all the trips on and off the trailer.
Nothing against antifouling paint, just wondering if there is something better?

kjones744

Recruit
Re: Bottom Painting..What to use?

I am about to bottom paint my boat. 1980 25' tollycraft. It has black bottom paint on it now> It has flaked off and worn off in some spots. If I rub my hands on it, I always get black powder on my hands.

This boat will be on a trailer when I am not using it. It will spend no more than 10 days in the water without being hauled out.
Do I really need antifouling paint? Is there something better that I can use on the bottom ?

There are a couple blisters that I will repair first, but over all the hull looks good. I can tell that it has been sanded under the paint.

The trailer I use is a bunk trailer and I guess I am wanting to know if there is a good paint that can take the abuse of all the trips on and off the trailer.
Nothing against antifouling paint, just wondering if there is something better?[/QUOTE

A hard bottom paint will become ineffective once hauled for extended periods. Although some can be revived it won't last for your needs.
Other non antifouling bottom paints won't adhere to the ablative so if you remove the ablative it will open up your options.

Truly, an antifouling ablative is the easiest for you, as far as application, and can be touched up easily on the worn trailered areas.

See this link on applying antifouling over existing bottom paint.

Last edited:

PatriotPhantom

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Bottom Painting..What to use?

I used Awlgrip on my 21 foot Phantom (top one in my pic). I went back to the gell coat and done a lot of small repairs, then coated top and bottom with it. It's very expensive but if, like me, you only want to do it once, it's well worth the effort and cost.... In my opinion.