suzuki DF70 prop selection

usedcarman

Cadet
Hi Folks,

I just picked a used 1999 Lund Angler 1700, that weighs about 960lbs dry weight, and it has a 1999 Suzuki DF70 four stroke that weighs about 319lbs. Problem is there was no prop on the engine when i bought the unit, it had been damaged, engine runs fine nonetheless. But now i can't seem to find where to look for the proper prop to install on this boat. I'm a walleye fisherman, i troll a lot and speed is also somewhat on a concern to get from hole to hole, as is holeshot. I usually like to troll at speeds between 1 and 2.5 mph. Could anyone suggest a proper pitch for this unit, or direct me to a site where it can be calculated?

Thank you!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: suzuki DF70 prop selection

As a starting point I think a 15" pitch.As far as trolling I think a drag chute or trolling plate will be needed
regardless of what prop you try.

usedcarman

Cadet

Thanks Steelespike,
I already have a trolling plate on it. I will try that, but having a trolling plate would it permit me to have a higher pitch for slightly more higher speeds?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You need to select the prop that allow the motor to operate within its rated rpm range.
Increasing pitch can help improve speed if the motor is under propped and revving too much
increasing pitch could improve speed.
Increasing pitch makes it harder for the motor to turn up to speed kind of like putting a car into over drive.
If it can turn up to speed it may run faster.
Decreasing pitch is like a lower gear on a car with more power but less speed.
A prop is a compromise for the right wot rpm good speed and power.
We need your rpm and gps speed to evaluate your setup.

usedcarman

Cadet

Thanks a lot, i will start by getting a 15" and do a test run to check rpm and speed on my sonar which is equipped with a gps, and go from there. Again thanks for the help!!!