Tools - Cutting and Grinding...

Jedo_03

Seaman
Harking the Health & Safety guidelines of forum members, I have been wearing the whole body-suit-with-hood, respirator, and face-shield when cutting / grinding... No qualms with that... These processes generate whole clouds of dust and particulates... And while "I" may be 'protected' (to some extent) in my space-suit, I'm having some concerns for my family and neighbours... These clouds of dust and particulates just dissipate into the air, to be wafted and blown anywhere...
I use a 4inch Angle Grinder with a stone-cutting wheel to "cut" and the same Angle Grinder with a 'flapper' to "grind"...
I also have an "oscillating sander", a belt-sander, and a 6inch rotary sander...
All do the job rapidly and effectively - but produce these huge clouds of air-borne waste that are environmentally toxic...
Is there an equally-efficient way to 'cut' and 'grind' that minimises the amount of dust..??
Some other "tool" that does these jobs just as effectively - but doesn't spew out a nebulae of toxic particles..??
For example: There's a tool available here in Australia, akin to an Angle Grinder, with a variety of cutting/grinding heads that "vibrates" rather than spins... Are these tools as effective...??

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tools - Cutting and Grinding...

Well the only good tools that I have used you already have and they do blow dust everywhere. There are a few things you can do to help contain the mess. One is a tent over your work area, lots of us have made one from lumber and a few tarps. You can also put the hose from a shop vac beside the tool on the side it's blowing the dust out but the dust will clog your vac filter pretty quick so you will have to keep an eye on that. I did the tent thing, only cost around $100 to build mine,the wind blew it down a couple times but that's the breaks.lol. Hope this helps.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

No real way to eliminate the dust all together.

I agree with the shop vac. Sometimes you can cut the bottom of a gallon milk jug and tape it to the end of your hose.

I remember a member sometime ago that posted up a vid of someone towing a boat that was filled with glass dust around the neighborhood to clean it out. He though it was a hoot.

YD.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Shop vacs, tents, and some tools even have vac attachments built into them to help with the dust/clouds created, but seriously there is no way every bit of dust/grinding particles will ever be caught completely. It is what it is. That certainly doesn't mean you can't give it your best efforts though... However there is a little bit of light with these clouds. Since ground off participles are a little heavier then air, they will drop out of suspension in short order and not simply float around forever. So the further away a person gets from your cloud making efforts the better...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Shop vacs, tents, and some tools even have vac attachments built into them to help with the dust/clouds created, but seriously there is no way every bit of dust/grinding particles will ever be caught completely. It is what it is. That certainly doesn't mean you can't give it your best efforts though... However there is a little bit of light with these clouds. Since ground off participles are a little heavier then air, they will drop out of suspension in short order and not simply float around forever. So the further away a person gets from your cloud making efforts the better...

They are magnetic though .. well .. static !

Remove all Polyester product from your location.

And yes they can float around longer than you think.

I commend you for trying to stay safe not only to yourself but to others !

Thumbs up.

YD.