Use of VHF radio while in Canadian waters...Permitted or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone,

Anyone familiar with Canadian law on this. When boating from the U.S. to Canada is the use of our marine radio to contact the Canadian dock master (for example) permitted?

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Use of VHF radio while in Canadian waters...Permitted or not?

I am in Canada and YES you can use your VHF radio on Canadian Waters. Set your VHF for International Channels.
Same for me When I cruise on Lake Champlain.
Your US Radio Restrincted Operator's Certificate is valid, No problem at All.
Welcome to Canada.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello HPLou,

Yes, I have a valid Restricted Radiotelephone Operators permit #753 from the FCC but I was under the impression that the Canadian government required more so this is good news.

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Your US Radio Restrincted Operator's Certificate is valid, No problem at All.

This is what threw me when I started googling for an answer to the OP's question. U.S. operators aren't required to have a certificate, license or any any 'official permission' to use our VHFs. We buy it, install it and switch it on. The OP won't have the certificate you refer to.

I'd ASSUME that Canadian and US authorities don't really care one way or the other, but I couldn't find a clear-cut answer to the OP's question.

(sorry- was posting while the OP was... for the record, neither I nor my friends have an operator's license).

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello JoLin,

Yes you are correct. We don't need to have a license to operate a marine radio. By coincidence (I was a radio announcer for 15 years), I happen to hold a Restricted Radiotelephone Operators permit #753 which also happens to be the same permit needed and mentioned by HPLou.

It is my understanding that you must sit for a test to obtain a marine radio license in Canada. If true, it's probably a good thing. Here on the Great Lakes you can hear people regularly misusing their radios from a lack of understanding and the Coast Guard having to tell them to stay off the frequency.

Paul Bolden

UncleWillie

Captain

As a US boater you can just install the the radio and behave properly without any license when used Domestically.

Once you enter Canadian waters or transmit to Canadian stations you leave the Domestic rules domain and enter into the International arena.

You can listen to Canadian stations all day legally, as long as you do not transmit.

To Transmit Legally you will need a Ship STATION license Type (SA) for the Boat. ($160 / 10 Years)
And an OPERATORS Permit (Type RR) for you. ($60 / Lifetime)

You can do all this On-line at FCC.GOV and have the paperwork in your hands by next weekend.

OP;
Your Operators Permit is good for all services, Marine, Commercial Broadcast, Aviation, etc. So you are good there.
The Boat will still need a Station license, and will be issued a call sign, just like your commercial broadcast stations were.
You will also get an OFFICIAL Coast Guard Issued MMSI number.

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pbolden, JoLin
In Canada the Auxilary Coastal Guard are the ones that Navigate the most were Plaisance Boaaters are the most. Last season (2012) we started to see Police on the Richelieu River, Fortunatly. They were present on busy week ends only ( no budget ). They were after Boaters that were speeding, alcool, etc. The Auxilary Coastal Guards are always on busy Water Plans but unfortunetly they can not give any Tickets. They are there for Security only. About VHF, In Canada there is a law like JoLin mentionned that you must have a permit to monitor on VHF but; I have my boat certified every year with the Auxilary Coastal Guard and asked several times the question about VHF Certification and as long as you behave like a human, you will never get bother and asked for your Certificate.
And most important, You can monitor in English anywere in Canada, including Quebec, Everybody will understand you and be verry happy to speak with you. I am French and monitor regularly with US Boaters Navigating on the Richelieu River coming from Lake Champlain.
Have a Good Season.

jhebert

Ensign

As a US boater you can just install the the radio and behave properly without any license when used Domestically.

Once you enter Canadian waters or transmit to Canadian stations you leave the Domestic rules domain and enter into the International arena.

You can listen to Canadian stations all day legally, as long as you do not transmit.

To Transmit Legally you will need a Ship STATION license Type (SA) for the Boat. ($160 / 10 Years)
And an OPERATORS Permit (Type RR) for you. ($60 / Lifetime)

You can do all this On-line at FCC.GOV and have the paperwork in your hands by next weekend.

OP;
Your Operators Permit is good for all services, Marine, Commercial Broadcast, Aviation, etc. So you are good there.
The Boat will still need a Station license, and will be issued a call sign, just like your commercial broadcast stations were.
You will also get an OFFICIAL Coast Guard Issued MMSI number.

This answer is mostly correct. The other answers are mostly wrong about USA boaters in Canada and what is required.

The Canadians do not require foreign vessels or foreign vessel masters to have a Canadian license, if they are not staying very long. The Canadians will recognize your own nation's license. This is called reciprocity. That is why you need an FCC license to operate in Canada but not in the USA. It is a rather odd situation.

In the real world, you will not be likely to be subject to any special enforcement if you are an American, do not have an FCC SHIP STATION LICENSE or a valid RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR'S license, and happen to use your VHF Marine Band radio while in Canadian Waters to contact a shore station in Canada--as long as you are not a jerk on the radio and use good procedures. The rule requiring a station and operator licenses is not strongly enforced based on my experience. My experience includes spending several weeks in Canada boating every summer for the last 25 years, probably more than 50 weeks in total. I have never seen any indication that this rule was being enforced. However, I am boating in rather out-of-the-way places. If you go boating in Toronto, you might find more zealous enforcement.

Also, the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is not required. An operator's license of some type is required. The Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is just the easiest operator's license to obtain. All you do is fill out a form and send in the fee; you are granted a lifetime license. But if you have other qualified radiotelephone licenses, those are valid, too. Amateur Radio licenses are not considered valid, as far as I know, for the purpose of operating a ship station.

Personally, my boat has an FCC SHIP STATION LICENSE, and I hold a valid FCC GENERAL RADIOTELEPHONE LICENSE. But in 25 years of boating in Canada, I have never been questioned about either.

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jhebert,
Thank You for the precision about USA Boaters.
You mentionned;
''The Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is just the easiest operator's license to obtain. All you do is fill out a form and send in the fee; you are granted a lifetime license.''
I think this information is faulse. To Obtain my Restricted Operator's Certificate (Maritime) I had to take an 8 hour course given by the Coastal Guards or Auxilary Coastal Guards Chapter in my Area. The cost was $135.00. I needed to have 60%+ in my exam to obtain my Life License.

You also Mentionned;
''But if you have other qualified radiotelephone licenses, those are valid, too.''
I have my Private Pilot License and a Certificate of Proficience in Radio (Aeronautique) from Industry Canada.
I need this Certificate to be able to use a VHF on an Airplane and it's not valid for Maritime.
I had to take the proper course (maritime) so I could be Legal.
Louis

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget to switch the radio over to "Canadian" mode or "international" mode.

UncleWillie

Captain

...''The Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is just the easiest operator's license to obtain. All you do is fill out a form and send in the fee; you are granted a lifetime license.'' I think this information is false...

It may be FALSE for Canada, but surprisingly, TRUE for the U.S.
It is no longer needed for Commercial Broadcast use at all. ( The "Disk Jockey License" is history!)
It is part of the "Dumbing of America" policy! :rolleyes:

From the FCC.GOV web Page

Term of License
An RR is issued for the holder's lifetime.
How to Obtain a License
Submit FCC Form 605. There is no proof of passing certificate requirement for an RR.
Use the FCC Form 159 (fee processing form) to pay the fee.

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Easy answer: Use the radio as it was intended to be used, you won't have a problem.

jhebert

Ensign

Jhebert,
Thank You for the precision about USA Boaters.
You mentionned;
''The Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is just the easiest operator's license to obtain. All you do is fill out a form and send in the fee; you are granted a lifetime license.''
I think this information is faulse. To Obtain my Restricted Operator's Certificate (Maritime) I had to take an 8 hour course given by the Coastal Guards or Auxilary Coastal Guards Chapter in my Area. The cost was $135.00. I needed to have 60%+ in my exam to obtain my Life License.

You also Mentionned;
''But if you have other qualified radiotelephone licenses, those are valid, too.''
I have my Private Pilot License and a Certificate of Proficience in Radio (Aeronautique) from Industry Canada.
I need this Certificate to be able to use a VHF on an Airplane and it's not valid for Maritime.
I had to take the proper course (maritime) so I could be Legal.
Louis

Hi Louis--I think you are talking about Canadian regulations. I am talking about USA regulations from the Federal Communications Commission. To get the FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit you just fill out a form. In the form you swear and avow that you can perform certain actions and are aware of certain regulations, but you are not actually tested on them.

I understand that qualification for Canadian licenses or certificates is probably significantly different. But since the discussion was in regard to what boats from the USA need to comply with when in Canada, I was describing the USA's FCC requirements.

By the way, we love boating in Canada, and we usually spend more time on the water in Ontario than we do in Michigan.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Uncle Willie you seem to know something about broadcasting because you're right . There is no license needed in commercial broadcasting any longer. When I started I had to go to Detroit (from Cleveland) and be tested to receive a broadcast license. Sometime in the 80's the FCC replaced that requirement with the all purpose permit 753 (no testing needed). Some time after that they eliminated the need for the permit all together and stations were free to hire people right off the street and it sounds it.

So it would seem that this same permit that I've had for 20 years has come back to life on the open seas of the Great Lakes in the form of my marine radio, at least on the Canadian side and to think that I was going to through it away LOL.

Paul Bolden

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jhebert, Sorry I misunderstood that you were writing on USA Regulation.
I've learned good Information in this thread from All you Guys about USA Regulations.

Thank You pbolden for bringing this on the Forum.

UncleWillie

Captain

Uncle Willie you seem to know something about broadcasting because you're right . There is no license needed in commercial broadcasting any longer. When I started I had to go to Detroit (from Cleveland) and be tested to receive a broadcast license. Sometime in the 80's the FCC replaced that requirement with the all purpose permit 753 (no testing needed). Some time after that they eliminated the need for the permit all together and stations were free to hire people right off the street and it sounds it.

So it would seem that this same permit that I've had for 20 years has come back to life on the open seas of the Great Lakes in the form of my marine radio, at least on the Canadian side and to think that I was going to through it away LOL.

Paul Bolden

Thanks!
Sometimes we old guys actually know something! ;)

My Restricted Permit is dated 1973, good thing I laminated it, it is still readable.
It was needed domestically for my Private Pilots License back then.
Still needed if I fly to Canada. :D

I hold and Amateur Extra license with the 20 wpm Morse Code endorsement. (Now history also!)
I am an ARRL Volunteer FCC examiner.
And I hold a General Radiotelephone License with Ships Radar Endorsement.

And I once stayed at a Holiday Inn! :eek:

If you need assistance applying for the Ship Station License Online let me know.
I just did it last month! The FCC takes Credit Cards online, and it arrived in a week.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HPLou,the great thing about these forums are that there are so many people willing to share their knowledge to help others including your contribution.

Paul bolden

Moondoggie42

Recruit
Hello Everyone,

Anyone familiar with Canadian law on this. When boating from the U.S. to Canada is the use of our marine radio to contact the Canadian dock master (for example) permitted?

Thanks,
Paul Bolden
I don't know about the law but I have a modified 90 version VHF Horizon Cannada version that puts out 55watts and has a rocker switch that I have no idea what it's for.

MODERATOR EDIT: Please review the forum rule about posting to old threads. This one is 10 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.