1971 chrysler 70 hp head bolt torque specs

456SIGN

Cadet
Just got the head and gasket off e-bay to replace the one with stripped sparkplug threads.
what is the correct specs for the torque on the head bolts. Also, should i put anything on the bolts before tightening them?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 chrysler 70 hp head bolt torque specs

Saw the other post and suggested you start a new one:)
20#Some grease might help in making them easier to remove next time.
Also stagger the tightening pattern.Starting from the center then out.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Torque spec is 225 INCH pounds DRY. I do lubricate my head bolts with anti-seize and still use the dry spec of 225. I have not stripped out a head bolt that way yet. Using a new head gasket, re-torque head bolts after about 1/2 hour of running. Old head gasket,s if in good enough condition to be reusable, are already compressed and do not need to be re-torqued after running.

456SIGN

Cadet

Torque spec is 225 INCH pounds DRY. I do lubricate my head bolts with anti-seize and still use the dry spec of 225. I have not stripped out a head bolt that way yet. Using a new head gasket, re-torque head bolts after about 1/2 hour of running. Old head gasket,s if in good enough condition to be reusable, are already compressed and do not need to be re-torqued after running.

I got 20 ft lbs.from another member and you say 225 inch pounds...whats the difference between the two and why can't I find exact specs from chrysler on the 70hp? is it the same specs as the 55?my book shows the 70 but the section on torque specs only shows up to 55hp. don't most wrenches come in foot pounds?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Frank gave you inch pounds. I gave you foot pounds.
The tourqe is the same on most of all the Chrysler/Force motors.
I don't have a inch #s tourqe wrench that I trust(cheap).
I trust my Snap-On

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

20 foot pounds is OK BUT--- If you slip with the wrench you will easily exceed specs. 225 INCH pounds equates to 18 3/4 foot pounds. It is MUCH easier to torque to 225 inch pounds accurately (in three steps) than it is to torque to 20 foot pounds.

Some 55s used 3/8 inch diameter bolts and took a higher torque value.

Torque wrenches can be bought easily in either foot pound or inch pound range.

The Chrysler 70 uses the same three cylinder head as the 75, 85, and 90. Additionally, all the four cylinder models use the same 5/16 diameter head bolts so torque specs on all three and four cylinder models are the same.

Some manuals suck and leaves a lot to question. Go to your library and see if they have a Clymers or Interstate. Interstate will cover all makes of engines in all sizes and is a two volume manual.

456SIGN

Cadet

that is just great.I appreciate your help and time to get me the info I need.
If anybody you know needs custom decals or wrap for a boat, I run a sign shop here in Vegas and use some nice reflective vinyl for the water. feel free to ask, I mail anything,anywhere. Thanks again!

456SIGN

Cadet

Thank you very much. I'm so grateful for the right info. I make stickers and cut vinyl for reg marks or just design.Feel free to ask,I mail anywhere for free and offer two for 1 every day. Thanks Again.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

When tourqing I use a three step method.
Tighten to just snug.
Then stagger the sequence.
Then set the wrench at 14# tighten.
then set at 17# tighten.
then 20# and tighten.
Then after a breakin period retourqe.
I set the wrench at 16# then 20#
I've never had one come loose or really need the retourqe.

456SIGN

Cadet

When tourqing I use a three step method.
Tighten to just snug.
Then stagger the sequence.
Then set the wrench at 14# tighten.
then set at 17# tighten.
then 20# and tighten.
Then after a breakin period retourqe.
I set the wrench at 16# then 20#
I've never had one come loose or really need the retourqe.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7152.jpg104_7154.jpg

Sears! My Craftsman inch pound torque wrench goes up to 250.

Matter of fact here it is replacing a piston through the reed openings of a four cylinder Chrysler.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

When I worked at the dealer in the 80's the factory rep said not to worry about an inch pound wrench.
They said 20 was ok if it was tourqed in sequence and increments.14/17/20
The Snap-on and Mack guy back then was charging way more than I could afford for an inch pound wrench.
I think it was about $180 back then???

456SIGN

Cadet

When I worked at the dealer in the 80's the factory rep said not to worry about an inch pound wrench.
They said 20 was ok if it was tourqed in sequence and increments.14/17/20
The Snap-on and Mack guy back then was charging way more than I could afford for an inch pound wrench.
I think it was about $180 back then???

HARBOR FREIGHT 21 bucks! sweet.
I did exactly that,and when i went to re-tighten them only one moved slightly. Thanks for the quick reply.
now i have trouble with the engine bogging and stalling,I think due to gunk in the fuel tank and lines and a bad bulb and check valve in line.after getting back i found so much crud in the filter I just gotta start from scratch and pull both tanks and all the lines
Also...lol
I changed the gear oil and found a lot of what looked like water in the oil. pumped new fluid through till it was fairly clean then refilled to level. when i got back from the lake i see that same milky oily substance coming from weep holes? except I read if it smells like gas,it's supposed to come out the small weep holes under the top oil screw. I thought it was some kind of freeze plug and was going to epoxy it closed. I have the manual but it says nothing of these holes leaking milky gassy oil.
I'll pull the lower screw tomorrow just to be sure, but I have a feeling of doubt when it comes to what i'll find next. I'd be lucky to find the lower unit for a 1971 70 hp Chrysler.