new boater

Dorkynhymer

Recruit
i have a 1969 -16' Alpex by Alumacraft fiberglass tri-hull with a 1969 Johnson 33hp . after reading in the iboat forum i discovered that boat and motor are mis-matched maybe . i have a 20" transom and the cavitation plate on the motor is 3" below the bottom of the boat . i measured from the cavitation plate to the mount bracket as 23" . i thought the shaft sizes were 15-20-25. i do notice at full throttle the boat doesnt fully plane the bow rides high and plows the water .does this make sense and what should i do. this is my first thread and would appreciate any input thanks

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: new boater

pics would be nice.i might be wrong but i dont think there was a extra long for that motor in 69.you have physically measured the transom itself?

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

I think you have properly diagnosed the problem: The motor's shaft is too long. A simple jack plate would solve the problem, or you could possibly increase the height of the transom. Post some pictures of the motor and transom.

Dorkynhymer

Recruit

pics would be nice.i might be wrong but i dont think there was a extra long for that motor in 69.you have physically measured the transom itself?

i did measure the transom itself..i will take photos tomorrow and post them for you all to see..so my next question is how to post pics? thanks

Dorkynhymer

Recruit

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

I think you have properly diagnosed the problem: The motor's shaft is too long. A simple jack plate would solve the problem, or you could possibly increase the height of the transom. Post some pictures of the motor and transom.

i dont know how to post pics yet ...i will take some tomorrow and try to figure out how thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I suspect that while you have found a potential issue, 33 hp sounds WAY small for a 16' fiberglass boat and I'd bet THAT is a far bigger cause of your inability to plane than the engine being only 3" low....... generally that doesn't stop the boat from planing but rather causes the bow to tend to plow and ride low in the water..... I'd venture a WAG that you ought to have 50 hp plus on that rig.