tool confustion

mark abby

Cadet
my service manual states i need to use tool 91-34377A1 on the drive shaft. However, while searching for this tool, i found some sites that state that number supersedes to 91-90094.

ok. while searching for that number, i end up with another site telling me to use 91-56775T. all i want to do is hold the drive shaft! it's an XR4 lower unit, 3/4" shaft with an 8 point spline. (1989 if that matters)

so...which tool am i actually looking for?

thanks!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: tool confustion

Oh yes so many "Special" tools used by the manufactures to do some job of rebuilding or disassembling their engines. Not saying this is a solution, but I usually find a work-around way to do such things. I even make my own tools is need be for something really unique. Odd how with a little thinking you can accomplish the task with other remedies or tool options... Probably not what you seriously wanted to hear though...

mark abby

Cadet

well, i looked around for an old no-good crank shaft to use the spline end....no one wants to give them up. i looked on-line for spline sockets, none that will fit.

then i found this real cheap: QUICKSILVER 91-56775T HOLDING TOOL, but not sure if it fits.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

If you are only trying to hold the splined shaft while loosening or tightening something on it, maybe you could use a vice-grip type tool. Just be very carefull when using it you don't damage the splines...

mark abby

Cadet

the 20 to 30 bucks for the tool is worth it. i'd die if i ruined the splines...lol

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

then i found this real cheap: QUICKSILVER 91-56775T HOLDING TOOL, but not sure if it fits.
Thats the Mercruiser fine spline driveshaft tool...wont work.