1996 johnson 50 h.p strange wot problems

willard887

Seaman
ok the engine comes out of the hole then falls flat on its face like its only running on one cylinder. but its not! the only way i can get top end is to move red primer selenoid lever on side of engine to manual. Then it picks up and screams. I've put new fuel pump(did away with vro) changed all hoses, primer bulb and tank. carb rebuild, new plugs , powerpack. and even a paint job:lol: did this before omc certified mechanic. and did it after. I'm at a loss any help here is appreciated. ive read forums but nothing matches my problems! i'm going crazy!!!!!!!! Please help any ideas are appreciated

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 johnson 50 h.p strange wot problems

When you move the red primer lever to manual you are bypassing the carbs and that tells me you still have carb probs.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you check the high speed jets in the bottom of the float bowl for being clean.

willard887

Seaman

ok carbs came off again everything was clean and clear put them back on and even changed the electric primer on side of engine. took it out and the same thing happened again! jumps out of the hole then falls flat. i took cover off moved red lever to manual position while motor had w.o.t. and it picked up and started screaming like it should what is going on? when i move that lever its only putting gas in top of carbs why would it make it run like that? when its having its problems i push the key in to choke it and it kills it! why would it kill it that way but make it run by moving primer lever? isnt it doing the same either way? could i have a timing issue? could key be sheared? ive worked on omc's for years and never had this kinda headache. somebody anybody throw me some help. thanks

willard887

Seaman

need some advice, i just cany go outside and work on it. it was 60 degrees yesterday now a winter storm watch is out. If you dont like the weather in southern illinois.... wait 15 minutes

willard887

Seaman

Update. Problem solved tore bottom carb back off and i forgot to put the nozzle well gasket in on the rebuild! Damn i feel like a dumb***. lesson here is dont overlook even the smallest gasket or your gonna be banging your head against the garage for a while!

willard887

Seaman

Ok i thought about it there was no extra gasket left in the kit i must have lost it on one of the many teardowns i did on the carbs chasing this problem. Good thing i got alot of old spare outboards i just stole the gasket off a donor carb. Again i still feel stupid!