Thundercraft 160 Magnum Restoration

bqbowden

Cadet
:facepalm:

So I have decided to take the plunge and work on a boat restoration. I found the boat at my favorite lake's parking lot and it was there over a year. I gave $200 for the boat and motor. I have done a bit or research and found two other TC 160's on the forums and I am excited to get started.

My boat building experience started when I built my 13 foot kayak from scratch with only a set of printed plans and I am happy how it turned out. Not only did I learn about boat building but I learned about glassing. So ... on to my current project.

111008_145841.jpg

From the research I have done on this forum, there are two gentlemen whom have restored their boats and I want to borrow some ideas from them for my restoration:

drewpster
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/my-tri-hull-transom-replacement-w-pics-287390.html

Titan Tea
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/thundercraft-160-rebuild-done-catching-fish-w-pics-391695.html

So here is how it looked in the parking lot ...

aPicture 011.jpg aPicture 012.jpg aPicture 013.jpg aPicture 014.jpg

Here is my wish list of what I want to do at the moment:

Trailer - It is too short for my boat so I will have to get one sized correctly. The good news is I can reuse the trailer to haul my kayaks and free up my utility trailer for other things - like hauling hay for my horses.

Motor - I was told all the motor needed was a starter and the person I bought it from threw that in. So, I am hoping that is all it will need to get it running.

Boat - Obviously it needs cleaning up. But here is my "short" list:
1. Replace the floor. It is a bit soft in places and that means it needs to be replaced.
2. I want to make it cleaner so some of the extra's like the panel on the sides are going to go away.
3. Rig this for fishing. So I will add a live well, keep the front section for the grand kids but rig a removable fishing platform up front. I like the option of having the seats removable in the back for a second fishing deck so I am going to do that too.
4. Seats - I am going to put in new swivel seats. I like being able to turn around rather than the bench type seats.
6. Lights - In drewpster's build, he used LED lights under the edges for night fishing. I like that and will be doing that too.
7. Trolling motor - I want to put my trolling motor up front rather than in back but I need to put it in out of the way. Not sure how that would work. I will figure that out as I go along.

That's it for now ... I welcome any suggestions as I get going on this project and will post photos as it goes.

Barry Bowden

bqbowden

Cadet
Question

Question

I have a question and yes I did search but could not find the answer.

What is roving and how is this different than using regular fiberglass for boat repairs?

Barry Bowden

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Thundercraft 160 Magnum Restoration

There are two sticky threads at the top of the resto forums. One is 'How To's', and it contains a section on fiberglass. Woven Roving is covered there, as well as other common types.