1988 Force 50hp C, No spark

dPride

Cadet
Hi all! Got a 1988 bayliner capri for dirt cheap assuming the engine didn't run, despite the previous owner saying it started recently. I've got a few checks to do and have already ordered a new manual and impeller. Back to the motor, I have tried to start it a couple time just to see if it would, it cranks but never coughs. Looks to be getting fuel, a little bit will leak out of the carb after a couple seconds. After looking at a few pics on google, it looks like there are supposed to be bolts on the top of the flywheel, on mine there are none. Except of course the one in the center. Could this be the engine isn't starting?

Thanks in advance
I love this site!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Force 50hp C, No spark

No bolts. The holes are for a wheel puller to remove the flywheel.
Model#Serial# Of the motor?
Pics of the motor with cover off.
They used 2 ignition systems on the 50.What do you have?
If it's the points motor it's diagnosed differently than the CDI ignition.

dPride

Cadet

Hi Jerry! I don't know how I spaced that! Model is 507X8C, serial is 2315. I will post pics tomorrow while at work, new home pc (windows 8) won't connect my iPhone, different forum haha. I believe it's the C ignition, from comparing it against the D, my engine has two separate coils without the other module. I'll post pics tomorrow morning, thanks for your help.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check your safety kill next to the key. It will still crank but will get no spark

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Outboard ignition . com or CDI ignition both have test procedures for that motor.
I like the first one. The second(cdi) gives test procedures for their products.
I've found that replacing all the wire ends really helps.
They can look good but aren't making a connection.
I had a good stator,tried to put it on and it wouldn't work???
Got to looking and found under the shrinkwrap the connection was bad.
Replaced all the connectors it and it works great.Trigger/stator/packs.

dPride

Cadet

Sorry for the delay, finally got the pictures. I will definitely be checking the coils and the stator, will also check all of the connections, will let you know what I find.

Hi Dan, after confirming continuity through the circuit, I temporarily swapped the safety switch with a single pole single throw toggle switch to test making and breaking that connection, since I didn't know if the circuit was supposed to be open or closed. Made no difference, crank but no spark. Hahaha I wish it was just the kill switch, would love to keep my money.

IMG_1531.jpgIMG_1538.jpgIMG_1544.jpgIMG_1545.jpgIMG_1546.jpg