Absolute beginner!

millamoose

Cadet
Hi! I have been reading through these forums for several months but this is my first post. I am an avid fisherman but an absolute beginner with boats. I am however quite handy, mechanically inclined, and up for a challenge so I'm not scared to get my hands dirty. I recently decided to buy a boat as a rebuild/restoration project and I need some help getting started. I know that I have a Glastron Bowrider with a 165 Mercruiser I/O. However, I am having some difficulty figuring out the exact make, model, and age of both the boat and engine. I have the serial numbers but I am not finding a match on the internet. Can anyone help a gal out? :confused:

the beast in question
http://i.imgur.com/owybjQt.jpg

Serial on hull
http://i.imgur.com/vgeOrhc.jpg

Serial on upper unit of engine
http://i.imgur.com/FyXETDo.jpg

Serial on stern drive unit
http://i.imgur.com/RmdbTga.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Absolute beginner!

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... The hull number says it's a '77,....

I'd guess the rest of it is, Also...

millamoose

Cadet

Thank you! Definitely not what I had been told but that is to be expected on a "junker" I suppose :). That really helps.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just checked the engine serial number, and it is a 77 model as well. No records of drive serial numbers in 77.

millamoose

Cadet

Thanks! What does you mean when you say that there is no record for the stern drive in '77? Does this mean that someone has replaced the stern drive but not the upper unit?

Don S

No, it just means there is no way to trace the year of the outdrive by serial number. It's still a MC-1 drive the serial number is needed for getting the proper internal parts of the drive. I do have ranges for the 78 model, and they start with 489XXXX which puts your at around 77.

Have you looked at the stickies at the top of the forum? You should.

millamoose

Cadet

Yes, I've read through most of them, but that doesn't mean I understood. :) Some of it is still greek to me. As I say I am truly an absolute beginner with boats and boat engines. I have never owned one and have only ridden in one a hand full of times. My terminology may be off, did I miss something?

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like a good starter boat, love those old Glastrons. Once you get it ready to go can I recommend a safe boating class if you are a true newbie to boats. And we were all newbies once!

millamoose

Cadet

:) I am already signed up for classes next month and have an appointment for the USCG outreach near me to inspect the boat before and after the restoration. I have a good restorer with many years experience lined up to help me out with the interior and I am looking for a good mechanic in the area to help me with the engine work. It's just a bit hard to get started when you don't know exactly what you have. I am a very DIY person and I figured that the best way to learn the most about my boat would be to do as much as I can on my own instead of just reading the brochure, as it were. Sorry if I am asking silly questions.

millamoose

Cadet

Mainly I want to make sure of exactly what I have so that I can buy the proper manuals and parts to get the engine up and running. I have replaced the ignition switch, battery, battery cables, spark plugs, and oil. I am about to begin the troubleshooting procedures in the sticky above to see if I can get the engine to turn over. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I was told that the engine was in running condition when it was last in use approx. 3 years ago. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me but I am looking forward to the project. If worse comes to worst and I have to resell it, I would like to have more accurate information for the next buyer than what I was given when I bought it.

Don S

OEM Service manual is easy, CLICK HERE don't waste your money on the aftermarket ones.

rlrobian

Cadet

Millamoose,
I just "threw away" a 77 Glastron. The engine, gimball and lower unit were good and removed from the boat prior to junking. The problem was the transom. The wooden transom was dry rotted. After I got my "project boat" home I discovered the problem. While it can be repaired, for a boat of that age and not have any sentimental value the cost of the repair would have been far greater than the repaired value of the boat. I salvaged the useable parts, took the boat and trailer (the trailer was in worse condition than the boat) to a junk yard and went looking for another boat. For a few hundred I found one that was in much better condition but needed a starter and a prop. (I bought the Glastron sight unseen, but a great deal thinking I could fix anything I found wrong).
Ny message is to be sure the rest of the boat is OK before you put too much in the engine.
Good Luck and welcome to the joy and sorrow know as boating.
RL